GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > PCP/CO2/HPA Air Gun Gates "The Darkside"

*****SAFETY ALERT ON GEN2 Marauder SEAR*****

(1/6) > >>

ShakySarge:
As of today this is the THIRD of FOUR GEN2 Marauders I have had my hands on and worked on the trigger group. Out of these 4, 3 have had noticeable wear on the SEAR, one being bad enough to allow the Air Gun to FIRE WITH THE SAFETY ON!!!!

I HIGHLY suggest that you check your sear immediately for wear or chipping. The GEN2 sears are not made of the same metal that the GEN1 sears are for some reason. I will get a picture of the worst sear soon and post it as well. The one seen below is only slightly worn, but you can certainly see where the metal is actually chipping/grinding off.

Thank you for your time and please let me know if anymore sears out there are wearing like this. If it is indeed the case, Crosman should be responsible for the re-manufacturing of the part and redistribution of the sear to all serialized GEN2 Mrod owners.

Matt

Geoff:
Thank you Matt.    I will have to get a peek at mine to see if there is any damage.

aceflier:
When I get my new bolt I'll check mine. Good to know!

rsterne:
Is it possible that the sear material is the same, but with the sear being closer to the release end, the downwards force on it is much larger on the Gen 2 sear, for the same hammer spring force?.... Simple geometry would indicate that.... Also, are the sears that are showing wear being used with a stock MRod hammer spring, and within preload settings available on an unmodified gun?....

I'm just wondering if the new sear, which should put more load on the "catch" point on the drop mechanism, is OK in a stock Gen 2, but pushed past it's limits when the gun is modded for additional hammer strike.... While it should be able to safely stand more load, if the sears are not failing in stock guns, then it could be argued that it was (marginally) safe when it left the factory....

With the prevalence of modding in our sport, this is still valuable information either way.... and of course none of the above comments apply if the sear is wearing out in an unmodified MRod.... and Crosman should be correcting the problem, IMO....

Bob

ShakySarge:
1 of the 3 defective sears was under normal OEM conditions. It very well could be the change of design. Regardless, neither of my Gen I's has this issue and are the same as day one. These both have seen up to 17# springs.

If this is a design flaw then it is no fault of the customers. However, if it is indeed from using heavy springs then it also voids the warranty. Kind of a no win situation if you ask me.

Matt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version