Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: marauder upgrade  (Read 852 times))

Offline bear air

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
Re: marauder upgrade
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2022, 06:56:20 PM »
I agree with Frank. Shoot the gun and let everything settle in and do some more research. There are ways to squeeze more out of it. I have regs in all mine except my aea 30 challenger and I left it set from the factory.
  • Sioux City IA, USA
Psalm 107:14  He brought them out of darkness and the deepest gloom and broke away their chains

Online Richard3589

• Plinker
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2022, 07:13:08 PM »
 Thanks guys for all the insight . Gonna leave it and shoot it for a little while, then check it again.
  • USA, AR, Alma
May God Humble and Bless us in all our Ventures!

Online Richard3589

• Plinker
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2022, 06:03:29 PM »
 Did some more Chrono work yesterday in the yard. Was a little windy, and I'm not sure how that effects number but after shooting a few through it , it seems to have settled in around 810 fps now. Tank doesnt leak down either. The only thing I added was that Archers Airguns Marauder tune kit bolt.  Could a windy day effect my Chrono? I'm guessing so. Lol
  • USA, AR, Alma

Offline dan_house

• Expert
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2022, 06:15:42 PM »

I'd be interested to know what phone app works as a chronograph by itself.

Apparently you tell it how far away the target it, then it "listens" for the report, then listens for the impact on target. then works out the FPS.
  • Bozeman MT USofA
Thomas L .177
EdGun Leishly2 .177
CCA Tuned Diana54
Lukas Parsley Stocked TX200 .177
Marauder .177
Diana SkyHawk .22
AEA HP Varmint .25
AEA BackPacker semiauto .22
Daisy Red Ryder modded and tuned

The Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning

Southwest Montana's Headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy

Proud sponsor of Team_subsonic

Founding Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

Offline Frank in Fairfield

• "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2022, 06:51:13 PM »

I'd be interested to know what phone app works as a chronograph by itself.

Apparently you tell it how far away the target it, then it "listens" for the report, then listens for the impact on target. then works out the FPS.

Dan,
If in fact that is how it works, that is the DOPPLER effect.
  • Fairfield, CA, USA
AA TX200, .177
Daisy 499B
Baikal IZH46M
Baikal IZH60
Beeman P17
Beeman R1, .177
Benjamin Marauder, Gen I, .177
Benjamin Marauder, Gen I, .25
Benjamin Marauder Pistol
Crosman 2300S
Daisy Model 25, Variant 15
Diana 6M
FWB 601
Sheridan C9a
Weihrauch HW35e, .177

Offline howrd_71

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2022, 09:23:22 AM »
Hey Richard, welcome to the family.  Once you become more familiar with you rifle, there are some added trick that will increase you shot count, but limits you hammer tuning.  I have a few marauder rigs that are TACK DRIVERS well beyond the average pcp.  Most of the information can be found here and shared by the M-rod family.  Here are a few ideas, these are all slug pushers now.
  • Bakersfield, CA, USA

Offline triggertreat

• ...2017 GTA (PCP class) ...Fun Shoot Winner
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ☉ Aim high and shoot far ☆
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2022, 02:24:55 PM »
Update!!!
 So today I tinker a little more and ran 2more strings. I like the 5th one better for now So I took the transfer port and bottomed it and came out 3 turns for string 4 and 2.5 for string 5. Both had good standard deviation and spread from what I've read. It was all transfer port this time and left the Hammer spring were I had it set in the 3rd string. I'm starting to understand the infatuation with tuning. Lol. Around 850 average seems about right for now. Want to keep that or a little faster, but with maybe a couple more shots around that 840 to 850 or better ps.
 Shot some Barracuda 21.14 and a couple Griffin Hollow base HP 18 gr. Both shot almost the exact same FPS are around 2900 psi fill spot shooting 798 and 797. I though the slugs would shoot faster than my 18.13s but I was wrong. A lot more adjustments to try ,but I'm gonna leave alone for a week or 2 and see how it settles in.
 Thanks

I have been following along.  I just wanted to stop by and say how impressed I am with your tuning progress.  I have messed with tuning my marauders quite a bit over the years, so I know when I see good tuning work on them.  I really like the 30 FPE tune and that both tunes are within a 2% ES with good efficiency numbers.  You can get more shots with a higher ES, but I would stop while you're ahead.  Again, great effort!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 02:34:03 PM by triggertreat »
  • USA - Tennessee
(1 Corinthians 2:9)   Eyes have not seen, ears have not heard, neither has any mind imagined, what God is preparing for those who love Him.

22 Marauder (MMHF) - Reflex
25 Marauder - Reflex
25 FX Impact II - Shogun
30 FX Impact II - Shogun
357 Slayer - Emperor
AV-4500
Stikman

Online Richard3589

• Plinker
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2022, 03:07:41 PM »
Update!!!
 So today I tinker a little more and ran 2more strings. I like the 5th one better for now So I took the transfer port and bottomed it and came out 3 turns for string 4 and 2.5 for string 5. Both had good standard deviation and spread from what I've read. It was all transfer port this time and left the Hammer spring were I had it set in the 3rd string. I'm starting to understand the infatuation with tuning. Lol. Around 850 average seems about right for now. Want to keep that or a little faster, but with maybe a couple more shots around that 840 to 850 or better ps.
 Shot some Barracuda 21.14 and a couple Griffin Hollow base HP 18 gr. Both shot almost the exact same FPS are around 2900 psi fill spot shooting 798 and 797. I though the slugs would shoot faster than my 18.13s but I was wrong. A lot more adjustments to try ,but I'm gonna leave alone for a week or 2 and see how it settles in.
 Thanks

I have been following along.  I just wanted to stop by and say how impressed I am with your tuning progress.  I have messed with tuning my marauders quite a bit over the years, so I know when I see good tuning work on them.  I really like the 30 FPE tune and that both tunes are within a 2% ES with good efficiency numbers.  You can get more shots with a higher ES, but I would stop while you're ahead.  Again, great effort!
Thank you sir. I'm still learning. After shooting a few more times it settled in around 820 fps Average. May add a turn at the Hammer spring and see if that gets me back around 840. My goal is to hit around 820 with a 21.14 or so pellet. That's were the 18.13s are now.
  • USA, AR, Alma

Offline triggertreat

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2022, 05:58:34 PM »
Update!!!
 Thanks

Thank you sir. I'm still learning. After shooting a few more times it settled in around 820 fps Average. May add a turn at the Hammer spring and see if that gets me back around 840. My goal is to hit around 820 with a 21.14 or so pellet. That's were the 18.13s are now.

I haven't done much with the H&N heavies in a while since my aftermarket barrel doesn't like them.  This is about the most I have ever pushed them.  They did shoot the best in 5.53 head diameters when using the stock barrel.
  • USA - Tennessee
(1 Corinthians 2:9)   Eyes have not seen, ears have not heard, neither has any mind imagined, what God is preparing for those who love Him.

25 Marauder - Reflex
25 FX Impact II - Shogun
30 FX Impact II - Shogun
357 Slayer - Emperor
AV-4500
Stikman

Online Richard3589

• Plinker
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2022, 06:30:03 PM »
Update!!!
 Thanks

I haven't done much with the H&N heavies in a while since my aftermarket barrel doesn't like them.  This is about the most I have ever pushed them.  They did shoot the best in 5.53 head diameters when using the stock barrel.
Did you have transfer port all the way open and hammer spring bottomed out to get those numbers?
  • USA, AR, Alma

Online Richard3589

• Plinker
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2022, 06:33:49 PM »
Update!!!
 Thanks

What app did you use for this chart?
  • USA, AR, Alma

Offline triggertreat

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2022, 07:01:27 PM »
Update!!!
 Thanks

What app did you use for this chart?

This is my personal app, but you can download a very similar app I am sharing on here along with a video tutorial to help you get started with it.  You'll need a Windows based PC and Excel to use it though.

Here's a link to the page:

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=146784.msg155910719#msg155910719

To answer your other questions...Yes, VMS was set to 5.5 turns out (wide open).  I was also using some mods I created i.e., the "DIY SSG" and the "F.A.M.E. mod".  You can search for those terms and see the full write up and instructions on how to build or to use them together.  See the notes in the app for the mods and settings used in that H&N string which might help you more.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 07:04:53 PM by triggertreat »
  • USA - Tennessee

25 Marauder - Reflex
25 FX Impact II - Shogun
30 FX Impact II - Shogun
357 Slayer - Emperor
AV-4500
Stikman

Offline bear air

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2022, 09:05:59 PM »
That is a solid 25 shots for sure. More than enough to hunt or pest with.
  • Sioux City IA, USA
Psalm 107:14  He brought them out of darkness and the deepest gloom and broke away their chains

Online Richard3589

• Plinker
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2022, 10:27:55 PM »
 Do any of y'all know the twist rate on a .22 Marauder and how to tell the difference between a Lothar Barrel or Crosman?
  • USA, AR, Alma