Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: Scope Cam Questions?  (Read 622 times))

Online customcutter

• Expert
  • yes
Re: Scope Cam Questions?
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2022, 09:16:02 PM »
Well the "cube prism" finally arrived today.  Exactly 1 month after the quoted delivery date when I ordered it. 

I guess I'll start taking some measurements, trying to find the minimum focal length of the camera with the cube, and scope, etc.  I haven't investigated the camera yet to see if it can be dis-assembled.  I recently saw some YT videos, and people were actually having to cut the new Go-Pro's apart to modify them.  Apparently they are gluing them together now to try and stop people hacking them.

Here's the "cube" again for those interested.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802288779799.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.0.0.1cc9f19cs6yMVr&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Another problem now is it's 90*+ by 9am in my garage, and dew points are mid to upper 70's.
  • Valrico, Fl

Online JMJ in NC

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2022, 10:33:46 PM »
  • Hillsborough, NC

Online customcutter

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2022, 11:11:00 PM »
Check out reply #3. This is how I made mine.

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=193036.msg156238536#msg156238536

JMJinNC

Thanks, for the last month I thought I was going to have to go with "reflective glass" or a "reflective film on glass".  I'm glad this finally arrived.  It's apparently a 70/30 cube.  I wasn't sure when I ordered it if it was 50/50 or the 70/30.  Just looking through it this afternoon it appears that 70% is reflected at a 90* angle, and 30% is transmitted straight through the cube to the eye from the scope.  From what I have seen the 70/30 splits give much better video quality than the 50/50's.  Of coarse the drawback is less light transmission to the shooter during low light levels may be a problem.
  • Valrico, Fl

Online JMJ in NC

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2022, 11:17:41 PM »
Mine is pretty simple, but from the video, you can see that the video image is not dark. From memory, the view through the scope was also pretty good. So I’d hazard it was 50/50.

I tried a polarizing film previously, but the plain glass with “ perfect black” behind it works better.

FOV was the biggest problem. Camera (iPhone) on top balances better than on the side.

Good luck in your endeavor.

JMJinNC
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 11:20:59 PM by JMJ in NC »
  • Hillsborough, NC

Offline Rat Sniper (AKA: PaulT58)

• Guns? What guns?
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Ain't no wrong way to do the right thing!
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2022, 09:00:13 AM »
I have found much better results with the phone on top as well, not having something hanging off the side of the scope helps a lot.  I just wish the GoPro worked the same, but mounting it on top doesn't give the same results.  I picked up a used Eagle Vision mount and have been playing with it.  It's the 70/30 and so far the video has been reallyy good.  What model GoPro are you using?  I found a Hero 7 Black on Amazon last week for under $250, The lens cover on it was hard to remove, but I found a YT Video that showed how to get it off using a couple credit cards.  The original lens was hard to get out as well, and I cracked a small plastic ridge from around the lens, but the lens itself was not damaged.  I got this as a dedicated scope cam, so I doubt I'll ever put the original lens back in it, but have it just in case. 

I'm looking forward to seeing your final set up and how well it works.  I'm up to 4 different scope cam set-ups now, some definately work better than others, but thus far they all do what I need.
  • Redneck Riviera, FL
PCP RIFLES:
AEA Challenger .30 [China]
Air Arms S510 XS .22 [England]
Benjamin Akela .177 [Turkey]
Benjamin Cayden .22 [Turkey]
Benjamin Marauder .22 [USA]
FX Crown Continuum .177/.22/.25 [Sweden]
FX Dreamline Classic .25/.22 [Sweden]
FX Dream-Tac Compact .177/.22 [Sweden]
Huben K1 .22 [China]
LCS SK-19 .25 [USA]
Umarex Air Javelin Pro Arrow [China]

PCP PISTOLS:
Ataman AP16 .22 [Russia]
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22 [USA]
Hatsan AT-P1 .177 [Turkey]

PCP AIR SUPPLY:
Hill EC-3000 [England]
Benjamin Recharge {For Sale}
Benjamin Traveler [China]
Benjamin 90ci Buddy Tank [USA]

Online customcutter

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2022, 09:26:47 AM »
Thanks guys.  I bought a used GoPro 2 probably 10 years ago, when I started researching using it I found out that the lens can't be changed out.  Also 2 new batteries for it were $40 on Amazon at the time.  I started looking at something similar to the Firefly used by OriontheIguanaHunter.  I found this camera which had similar or better specs than the Firefly.  (Also found out that advertised FPS are not always factual from watching more YT videos.  I hope this one does what it claims.  I got it on Amazon for $82 with a coupon, but it is unavailable now.)  The other thing that I found out is that the new GoPro case has to be pretty much destroyed in order to open it up, to change the lens.  I'm hoping I can get into this one easily, but haven't tried yet. 

I'm going to start by trying to figure out minimum focal distances, and go from there.  Start looking at some YT video's on hacking into action cams.  I'm also wondering if a magnifying lens could be used to change focal distances, if I can't get the case open to change the lens.  Lots of things need to line up for this to work out probably.  I did hear this morning on the news that the moon and 4 planets were in near perfect alignment just before dawn.  Last time it happened was 2004.

Right now the camera is on the charger, I haven't figured out how to power it on, batteries may be dead. :o

Edit:  Forgot to post the link.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09LH8JFVF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 09:37:05 AM by customcutter »
  • Valrico, Fl

Online JMJ in NC

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2022, 09:55:37 AM »
Fwiw, I have a GoPro Session. Tiny, but huge FOV, and I’m unwilling to crack it.

I printed an adapter to mount the iPhone, thus saving my beam splitter “chassis”.

JMJinNC
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 10:02:38 AM by JMJ in NC »
  • Hillsborough, NC

Online customcutter

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2022, 12:03:30 PM »
Fwiw, I have a GoPro Session. Tiny, but huge FOV, and I’m unwilling to crack it.

I printed an adapter to mount the iPhone, thus saving my beam splitter “chassis”.

JMJinNC

I understand completely.  I only paid $82 for this cam and worried about cracking it.  It was advertised as 4x optical zoom capability, so I'm hoping I can figure that function out. ;D

I've tried every button combination, charging batteries, checking battery voltage, and watched 3 hours of video and looked up an online manual.  Nothing seemed to work.  Finally decided to change charging cords, and replaced the battery after checking voltage.  Decided to try powering on one more time, and it powered on.  What the heck? ???  The only thing I can figure is maybe pressing different buttons, or wrong buttons, I might have locked it up.  Then removing the battery for a couple of minutes it somehow reset? ???

Time to set up a few different scopes and see what might work, focal lengths, etc.
  • Valrico, Fl

Online customcutter

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2022, 04:43:31 PM »
I made some small strides today.  I finally managed to get the camera to turn on. :o  I tried determining focal lengths with different scopes and unless you have 3-4 hands and a vise, it's a futile effort.  I did find out that with variable power scopes the size of the FOV in the scope appears to change to the camera.  IIRC the lower powers on adjustable scope the FOV appeared small and increased in size as the power was turned up.  The zoom feature is definitely digital and not optical as described, so I need to get a different lens the 170* angle lens is unusable so far.  I'm going to try and find a 90* lens similar to the one on the Firefly.  I think they are in the 12-16mm range IIRC.

I managed to take the case apart once I determined that the lens was going to have to be changed.  It was rather easy compared to some that I have seen on YT.  Utility knife blade in the gap between the two case sections and it easily popped apart, no glue like the newer GoPro's.  I took it apart farther than necessary and 3 of the 4 control buttons popped out.  They were a pain to get back in, and took much longer than taking it apart.  Good news is it powered back up and functions after I got it all back together. ;D

Off to find a replacement lens now.
  • Valrico, Fl

Offline Rat Sniper (AKA: PaulT58)

• Guns? What guns?
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Ain't no wrong way to do the right thing!
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2022, 09:56:04 AM »
AliExpress has a lot of lenses to choose from, and their prices are pretty reasonable, but it will probablyy delay your progress another month while you wait for it to arrive!  I almost ordered a lens from them for the GoPro Hero 7 I picked up from Amazon Warehouse at a decent price, but decided to order from Hajimoto Productions since he offers the Eagle Vision lens that is designed for that specific GoPro.  It was a good bit more money, but I knew it would work and it arrived in 2 days!  Thus far, it is working out great, but I've not had a rat since I got everything assembled, so I've yet to test it in a real world situation!   :o :P
  • Redneck Riviera, FL
PCP RIFLES:
AEA Challenger .30 [China]
Air Arms S510 XS .22 [England]
Benjamin Akela .177 [Turkey]
Benjamin Cayden .22 [Turkey]
Benjamin Marauder .22 [USA]
FX Crown Continuum .177/.22/.25 [Sweden]
FX Dreamline Classic .25/.22 [Sweden]
FX Dream-Tac Compact .177/.22 [Sweden]
Huben K1 .22 [China]
LCS SK-19 .25 [USA]
Umarex Air Javelin Pro Arrow [China]

PCP PISTOLS:
Ataman AP16 .22 [Russia]
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22 [USA]
Hatsan AT-P1 .177 [Turkey]

PCP AIR SUPPLY:
Hill EC-3000 [England]
Benjamin Recharge {For Sale}
Benjamin Traveler [China]
Benjamin 90ci Buddy Tank [USA]

Online customcutter

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2022, 10:49:36 AM »
Thanks Paul.  Yes, the "cube prism" that I ordered from AliExpress took almost 2 months to arrive.  It was overdue by a month, and I had started a dispute. ???

I ordered a 12mm and a 16mm lens off of Amazon for $22 total.  They will be here next week.  Most people us a 12mm, but I decided to try the 16 also for a few dollars more.  The 16mm may be too much magnification and I may lose some FOV.

I need to start checking on some PVC pipe for mock-ups, and maybe find a source for some cheap delrin or Al "drops".  I don't think I have anything in round stock large enough on hand.
  • Valrico, Fl

Online customcutter

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2022, 06:23:30 PM »
I started measuring the OD of the different scopes that I might put the scope cam on today.  Then I decided to measure the "cube" and the bracket that it is mounted in.  I was trying to find out what the minimum size tube I would need to make the holder for the cube and also slide over the different eye pieces on the scope.  Also if I wanted to mount the cube by itself or encased in any part of the bracket that was supplied with it.  The part of the bracket that mounts to the rail is the wrong height for every scope that I own.  So I pulled the mounting bracket off and tried holding the remaining part of the bracket up to the scope to see if it changed the focal lengths of the scopes.

Then it finally dawned on me, just make a clamp that would tighten down on the round part of the cube bracket, and machine the other end to the dimensions of the scope. ;D  Also the square section of the bracket has 4 holes that could be used to mount another bracket and tube for the camera section.   The bracket around the cube is plastic so I don't know if it will be rigid enough stop vibration.  If not then I'll have to mill one from aluminum.

Here's a pic of the cube and bracket assembly.  BTW it's $3 off now, also the cube is only polished on 3 surfaces.  The ones used for sighting, makes sense and saves on cost I'm sure.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802288779799.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.0.0.1cc9f19cs6yMVr&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

• Valrico, Fl