GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > UK Airgun Gate

TX200 MK3 .22 caliber - Tony Leach 22mm Conversion

(1/4) > >>

Nitrocrushr:
GTA Member DanT provided me with an opportunity to tune and refinish his TX200 MK3 .22 caliber, installing a Tony Leach 22mm conversion kit in the process. 

This was an interesting project in that I got a chance to see just how easily the .22 caliber springers make power as compared to the .177 caliber.  They have a soft feeling shot and require much less preload to get the same or greater energy levels.  In the end, this rifle needed only 10.5mm of total preload to make just over 12 fpe of energy. 

Let's look at that in comparison to my 22mm tuned TX200 .177 caliber;

TX200 MK3 Rifle .177 caliber
Tony Leach 22mm conversion
TX355 spring - minus 1.5 coils
210mm total spring length
No spacers
16mm total preload
JSB 7.87gr - 11.44 fpe

TX200 MK3 Rifle .22 caliber
Tony Leach 22mm conversion
TX355 spring - minus 2.5 coils
204.5mm total spring length
No spacers
10.5mm total preload
JSB 14.35gr - 12.19 fpe

Rather impressive.  On the bench the rifle is exceptionally smooth with less jump than a 12 fpe tune using the factory 25mm piston.

Here are some comparisons between this rifle and a few other set-ups;

This is the recoil sled that I used for my testing - Fully floating in both directions, hands free firing.  Allows both recoil and surge to be measured.

Recoil Sled Results

43.2% reduction in overall movement over the factory FAC set-up
27.6% reduction in movement over a factory piston JM 12 fpe tuned set-up

While my .177 TL22mm tuned rifle is showing less movement overall, there are a few things to take into account here;

1) My .177 is making 6.2% less energy
2) The .177 is launching a pellet that is 45% lighter than the .22 caliber
3) My .177 is broken in and has settled.  This .22 caliber is still a rather fresh tune and will settle in over the next several hundred shots.  I would anticipate that both energy and overall movement will tame down a bit.

Another note - Although the movement may be slightly greater than my .177, the .22 calibers have a soft feel to them on the shot.  While this sled only picks up movement, if it were to pick up the speed, or rate of acceleration of this movement, you might see a difference here between the two.  Just a speculation that's all.

Here are some pictures of the completed rifle;

Your rifle is on the way Dan, thanks for the oppotunity to take on this project and I hope you enjoy it ;)

Steve

robertr:
 Great job as always Nitrocrushr.

Nitrocrushr:

--- Quote from: robertr on February 15, 2019, 06:09:47 PM --- Great job as always Nitrocrushr.

--- End quote ---

Thanks😁

Gear_Junkie:
Thanks for the report Steve!  That's interesting to read the difference between the surge in the .177 and .22, vs. the actual felt recoil. 

DanT:
Thanks Steve!  From your tests it sounds like "voodoo" magic how it shoots a heavier pellet with more energy and close to the same feel as a .177. Really looking forward to getting this one back so I can compare to my 22mm TX HC in .177. Maybe we can call this the TX200 .22 Voodoo mod ;)

Regards,

Dan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version