GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

Finally Got Out Hunting

(1/3) > >>

longislandhunter:
Between the heat and the rain we've been getting lately I haven't been out pest hunting for quite a while but this afternoon I finally got out with the .22 Condor to do some pest hunting.  I was going to go to the duck farm since I haven't been there in a while but I decided to head to the vegetable farm that I recently got permission to hunt on.  

I got to the farm around 2 pm, parked my truck under a shady tree and headed off to stalk some g-hogs.  For the next 3 hours I slowly worked my way around the farm and explored some new areas of the farm that I hadn't yet mapped out.  My wanderings only located 2 g-hogs, neither of which gave me a shot, but I did find another field of crops deep in the middle of the woods that I didn't even know was there as well as 2 dirt roads that meandered through about 100 acres of beautiful woods that had tons of squirrel sign.   I didn't have any g-hogs in the game pouch but I was thrilled about finding all this additional land to hunt on.  On my way back to my truck I ran into the farmer who was out checking his crops  and he told me he's still seeing large numbers of g-hogs raiding his crops but lately they've been coming out extremely late in the day, near 7 pm, to feed.  I'm assuming their behavior is due to the heat and humidity we've been having lately but whatever the reason it wasn't good for me as I promised the wife I'd be home by 6:30 to barbeque dinner and that meant I had to leave the farm by 6 pm to get home on time.  A little after 5 pm I decided to take a break and head over to the duck farm and see what kind of targets were available over there.  

It only took me a couple of minutes to get to the duck farm and as soon as I parked my truck I saw my first targets.  50 yards from my truck there was a large flock of pigeons clustered around a grain feeder pecking away at duck grain.  I was still sitting in my truck so I stuck the Condor out the window, cranked the magnification up to 14, adjusted the AO and settled the crosshairs on a large white pigeon.  I squeezed the trigger and sent the 28 grain Eunjin pellet on it's way.  It hit home with a loud "POP" and all the pigeons took flight, including the bird I hit.  I watched the white bird rise into the air with the rest of the flock but after a few seconds the bird started losing altitude and did a death glide into the next duck pen, hitting the ground hard.  I exited the truck, walked over and retrieved my bird.  The Eunjin hit the bird in the side of the chest and exited on the far side of the body.  I put the bird in my game pouch and headed off to find another.

The flock of pigeons that had taken flight at my shot buzzed the farm for a few minutes but they quickly settled down and landed about 200 yards away from me next to a cluster of grain feeders.  It only took me a few minutes to sneak within range.  The birds were 45 yards from me and hadn't detected me.  I picked out a bird that gave me a clean shot without endangering any ducks if I missed, placed the crosshairs just above his wing and fired.  The Eunjin flew true and struck hard.  The bird went down immediately and I had my second bird of the day.  I retrieved him and headed back to the truck so I could be home on time.  As I drove out of the farm I saw a huge g-hog walked across an open area headed straight for a grain feeder, but I had to get home so I just smiled at him and made a mental note to look up this bruiser again.  

I took some pics for my fellow GTA hunters..... I hope I post them correctly.    

gene_sc:
Great take Jeff, and yes the pictures came out great.  Now we are getting your heat and rain buddy..:) Thanks allot for sending it our way..;)

longislandhunter:
Thanks Gene   ;D

Sorry about the weather you're getting.....  we suffered with it for the past few weeks.  It was still really hot here today but at least the humidity lightened up enough to make outside activity possible.

Jeff

dk1677:
Good to see you out again Jeff! Nice shooting!

ezman604:
Pictures look good Jeff, thanks for sharing. I envy you with such a great selection of targets and available hunting grounds. You may have to grille extras one afternoon and let the wife warm them over, so you can keep a date with those g-hogs.  ;D
Happy Shooting!!!!
Dave
 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version