GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Back Room

What kind of blooming trees are these?

(1/4) > >>

Sqrl Klr:
I've never seen these before on the 20yrs our family has had the property. They're saplings currently around 7ft tall. Wondering if I should cut down or leave be.

lefeyelu:
Sumac.... Appears to be Rhus glabra . I'd leave it...........

anti-squirrel:
Yup, Sumac.  Sort of a "weed" tree but they do a superb job holding up a hillside.  They proliferate like crazy via suckering, so I do recommend keeping a very close eye on them.  They attract birds, which unfortunately eat poison sumac and poison ivy berries, meaning the bird droppings will give rise to toxicodendron nasties.

We have several clusters of sumac on the hillside of our property.  They don't attract poison ivy as much as Red Cedar, Red Birch, Shagbark hickory, or Osage and Locust, though.  I AGGRESSIVELY manage them via axe, machete, chainsaw, and even shovel/adze.  Be mindful when pruning if there are flowers present because they attract a lot of bees thanks to overactive nectar production.

An additional note: poison sumac/ivy/oak are also members of the Rhus family.

If you want to shore up a hillside, I recommend constantly thinning the sumac so other trees get a chance, otherwise sumac will take over.  It spreads just like crepe myrtle and is even more invasive.  If you nick a sumac root, a tree will pop up, so I like "trimming" when it actually hurts the grove/thicket to retard growth- late spring (the last few weeks, actually).

maraudinglizard:
Winged Sumac (Rhus copallina)  What looks like bloom is the berries on it, it blooms in the spring. I have it on my property, I don't bother it because the birds feed on the berries and in the spring it attracts the bees.

https://aggie-hort.tamu.edu/ornamentals/natives/RHUSCOPALLINA.HTM

Sqrl Klr:
Thanks guys much appreciated! I don't want them spreading and there has been poison ivy growing there in the past. What's a good way to kill them cut them near the ground and give them a drink of roundup?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version