GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Scopes And Optics Gate

Scope magnification change on accuracy

(1/1)

Liveliner:
In one sense the answer seems obvious. If you can see your target bullseye better “ aim small miss small” you will do better. However, if say your usually on a 4x and power up to 12x will your POI be the same? While I’m at it , what about changing the AO for distance? Better focus minimal accuracy defects.
Thanks in advance.

Back_Roads:
 POI will remain the same, but if using mildots to judge hold overs then the viewed mildot spacing will be larger or smaller with varying magnification.
 Adjusting the AO for a clear picture, and no target shift when you move your head up down side to side while looking through the scope will get you on target much easier.

Liveliner:
Back Roads
Thanks, i”ll keep that in mind for holdover on mildots.

mobilehomer:
Not necessarily. The ONLY way to know for sure is to try it. Whenever you move things(change power), there is the possibility of misalignment. The cheaper the scope, the higher the probability of misalignment. I had a scope that was FUBAR whenever I changed focus. Not a cheap scope, either. The replacement is solid.

nced:

--- Quote from: Liveliner on June 01, 2023, 08:18:43 AM ---In one sense the answer seems obvious. If you can see your target bullseye better “ aim small miss small” you will do better. However, if say your usually on a 4x and power up to 12x will your POI be the same? While I’m at it , what about changing the AO for distance? Better focus minimal accuracy defects.
Thanks in advance.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Back_Roads on June 01, 2023, 08:45:26 AM --- POI will remain the same, but if using mildots to judge hold overs then the viewed mildot spacing will be larger or smaller with varying magnification.
 Adjusting the AO for a clear picture, and no target shift when you move your head up down side to side while looking through the scope will get you on target much easier.

--- End quote ---
Yep! When I set up my scopes I adjust the "ocular" (eye piece) for sharp focus plus the reticle stays "welded" to the aim point even if my eye moves "off center" a bit when aiming. Here is a bit of a tutorial that I used to set up my scopes for field target matches and squirrel hunting. The closer 10-12 yard close range field target killzones typically are 3/8"-1/2" in diameter and when set up properly a "splitter" (pellet hits edge of killzone) kinda locks up the face plate so it won't fall which makes for a rater small "actual killzone".............
https://www.bcsportsmen.org/ft/A_Team_Parallax_adjustment_procedure.pdf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version