GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

The Maverick ice pick shooting .177 got another pig!

(1/6) > >>

Rallyshark:
The ice pick shooter strikes again! The gun was shooting Griffin 23 grain .177 slugs around 1070fps(a hair under 60 fpe). This setup always gets it done 😃 The hog was around 125-150lbs. The shot was at 33 yards.  I don't have a great story about the hunt really. The boar came in behind me, and I shot as soon as the right angle presented itself. As an aside, I almost got a shot at a true monster boar later on in the dark, but he showed up as I was packing up, and spotted me.  Oh well, maybe next time.  As mentioned in my other .177 hog post a while back, I don't take hunting with this caliber lightly. I make sure of my shot, and don't take the shot unless it is perfect. This gun(at this power level in .177) will out penetrate most people's .30 air guns
Here's a short video I filmed with a PARD NV007S. The pig moved a little right when I pulled the trigger, making the impact about a half inch off, but the little ice pick still did it's job. This is why shot placement is critical with small bores 😉

dk1677:
Nice one Donny!

ranchibi:
Donny, oh YEAH! Your .177 ice picks are a pigs worst nightmare! Fantastic shot and video! Boy....I do hope you get a chance @ the bigger boar someday. People don't realize how important penetration is with head shot's especially on a pigs thick skull! Manny also prefers using smaller calibers for hog hunting for the same reason as you 👍...penetration! Enjoy the good eats.

Back_Roads:
 Yup them little slugs slip right in there, then scramble them brains it did not know it needed till now.

airpuffhunter:
graet hunt, congratulations

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version