GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Wild Game Preparation and Recipes Gate

Totally Homemade Cornbread

(1/4) > >>

Bicycleman:
This recipe makes a CORNBREAD that was my father's favorite.

Ingredients:
1 Cup Cornmeal
1 Cup coarse ground Cornmeal
1 Cup Flour
4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
3 Eggs - room temperature
3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil of your choice
Buttermilk

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.  In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and oil together; and then blend into the dry ingredients.  Don't worry about any lumps.  Add enough Buttermilk to make a soft batter.  Pour the batter into a well oiled cornbread skillet [Cast Iron or Magnalite works well] that was preheated in the oven.  Place the Cornbread in a 400ºF oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the Cornbread is starting to brown and pull away from the side of the skillet.  Enjoy!

(The skillet doesn't have to be cast iron or Magnalite.  Any ovenware will do that yields a good end-product will work.  Experiment a little if you are uncertain.)

longislandhunter:
Sounds great.  I love cornbread although I must admit I have never made it myself but I' will definitely give it a try.  Thanks for sharing it with us  :)

Jeff

Bicycleman:
Jeff, thanks for your reply.
I was in the kitchen at a very young age being coached by my mother.  I entered cooking contests before I finished high school and got the 'Blue Ribbon' for "Shrimp Creole".  However, I was married before I every experimented with homemade biscuits and cornbread.  My first attempt at biscuits was a near disaster:  I figured vegetable oil was a substitute for shortening in the biscuit mix.  NOPE!  Those biscuits were about 3/8 of an inch high and on the HARD side.  But I got better with practice.
If your cornbread doesn't come out exactly the way you like, adjust the recipe or your technique, and try again.  Maybe the birds with eat that first adventure.  ::)

avator:
I'll add this...
A can of drained corn and pre cooked sausage links pushed just below the surface. Served covered with sausage gravy and a fried egg.
Hit me right in the mouth with that...   ;)

Yarp:
I'm a big fan of cornbread as well, and have used a "cakey" cornmeal/flour recipe in the past. It definitely hits the spot. Lately I've been cooking up my folks' recipe using only medium cornmeal, egg, buttermilk, baking powder, salt, and oil (they always used lard). When cooked in cast iron it offers a bit of crunch, especially with "sticks" and does well with the addition of whole kernel corn. Like any unsweetened cornbread, it slides right down when served up with pinto beans, ham hock, and onions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version