GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Turkish AirGun Gate

WFH plastic stock rear stock screw bracket damage

(1/3) > >>

Toxylon:
Took my Falcon Hunter .22 cal's stock off and found a nasty injury. The bracket that holds the rear stock screw has broken (see pics). This isn't unheard of with the Falcons, the flimsy stock being the Achilles' Heel of these otherwise fine magnums.

The lifted portion of the plastic is stiff and not willing to bend to close the gap from the break; it feels the plastic would rather break off completely than close up for a glue job. Also, gluing an unknown type of plastic is likely to fail chemically. 

In effect, the rear stock screw has no support within the stock, moving to and fro at will.

The most straight-forward solution, fitting a short length of thin-walled metal tubing to the inside of the busted bracket doesn't work here; the 6mm stock screw fits pretty tightly into an intact stock bracket hole, with no room for sleeving. 

Neither does gluing a metal washer of some sort to either the top or the bottom of the bracket, since the trigger guard needs to go flush against the bracket bottom, as does the action against the bracket top.

Counter-sinking the washer, or drilling out the bracket hole to a larger size and then fitting a metal sleeve with appropriate ID for the stock screw is the best I can come up with, for now.

My question to ya'all is, how would you go about fixing such damage in a plastic stock? Better yet if someone has done this specific job on a Falcon Hunter and has a story to tell.

James340:
I use .30 welding wire for some plastic repair.You heat it and it melts in to the plastic.Think of rebar for concrete. there is a commercial tool called "Hot stapler" AliExpress have it cheap.

Yogi:
On of the various epoxies for plastic would be what I would do.

-Y

I have used them on all sorts of plastics.

Toxylon:
Thanks, James & Yogi!

I'll look into your suggestions, being a plastics noob (for now).

Airspace:
The piece of raised plastic that you state is to stiff to put back in place can be heated with a blow dryer on high heat and then held in place until it hardens. The remaining space could be filled with any good grade epoxy made for plastic. There's not alot of chemical compounds in commercial plastic to cause the epoxy to be rejected.
Good luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version