GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Air Gun Gate

Benjamin 397P Rebuild

(1/2) > >>

Tannermck:
I came across an old Racine marked 397P but it won't hold any pressure. I've found some rebuild kits for a 397PA, but I don't know if those kits will fit. What are the differences between the 397P and the 397PA? Would the 397PA rebuild kit work for the 397P? If it doesn't fit do they sell rebuild kits for the 397P?

RBQChicken:
It probably just needs a little oil.  Open the pump arm and put some NON-DETERGENT, 20 or 30 wt. oil on the edges of the pump cup.  Also a drop or two on any pivot points in the pump arm assembly.  You can also use 3-in-1 oil or the 3-in-1 with the blue label for electrical motors.  It doesn't say on the label but if you do a little digging on their website it says both are non-detergent.

After you oil the pump cup, close the pump arm and let the gun sit for a few hours, barrel pointed up.  Then try pumping and see if you build pressure.  I'd be surprised if this doesn't work.

Hoosier Daddy:
Tanner, If Randy's excellent suggestion doesn't work after repeated attempts and you do need to go inside, the "PA" seal kit will not work on your "P".
The 39X P was the last of the soldered valve Benji's similar to the 31X, 34x, and Sheridan C's. While the PA has the new style Cartridge valve similar to the modern 39X's.
You will also need the "special tool" for the soldered valve nut and the valve removal.. https://www.bakerairguns.com/product/valve-tool-for-benjamin-sheridan/
 In my opinion, I would much prefer the P as to the PA.

Tannermck:
Would a couple of drops of Hopped No. 9 work? Also, how do you get to the pump cup? Do I have do disassemble the pump mechanism?

Ronno6:

--- Quote from: Tannermck on March 27, 2023, 09:58:25 PM ---Would a couple of drops of Hopped No. 9 work? Also, how do you get to the pump cup? Do I have do disassemble the pump mechanism?

--- End quote ---

Yessir.
You need to drift out the 2 roll pins under the muzzle.
Remove the front plug.
You will need to slide the piston rod to the front in order to extract the pivot pin thru a spring pin hole on order to disconnect the pump link, then remove the pump rod out the front.
Replace the pump cup, then........reverse procedure to install........

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version