GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Wood Chop Shop (Working with wood)

source for butt pad for new stock

(1/1)

JimD:
I really like my P35s but I do not love their plastic stocks that are too short in length of pull for me.  I've started a replacement of wood but I looked around some for a butt pad and couldn't find any less than $20-30.  I guess I could reuse the one that is on the plastic stock but it isn't great looking or functionally.  Anybody got any sources for a decent simple butt pad?  I've looked at Brownells, Midway, and ebay and also Googled for one and I came up empty.  I even tried looking at Aliexpress but searching them is not very dependable.

First stock is kind of a practice stock.  The 33 mm airtube makes the stock kind of thick at 1 9/16.  I have some 8/4 cherry but decided to just split a 2x6 scrap I had laying around for awhile and put a 3/4 inch thick piece of fir in the center.  I bandsawed the 2x6 in two yesterday, jointed the cut face flat, and glued up the three pieces.  Today I planned the block to final thickness ( 1 5/8), cut it to width and length, sketched the shape on the blank, and make the first inletting cut (a mortise for the trigger guard).  It looks like I need a 3/4 inch wide slot for the action and trigger parts and almost a semi circular dado for the air tube.  I want to get a couple screws the right size for the action and make some pointed ones to mark the blank for the position of the action screws and drill these holes before I cut the other two dados.  I won't cut the stock to shape until the inletting is done - much easier to inlet a rectangular block.

If I cannot find any cheap butt pads I like I may just use a contrasting piece of wood.  It's not like there is recoil to be worried about.

KWK:
Once in a while a good Pachmayr gets auctioned on eBay. Hope that helps. "Save the search" and accept email alerts

Roadworthy:
Depending on the dimensions of the butt you may get some help from Mike Melick at Flying Dragon.  I was hoping to score one for a Diana 34 but the Diana butt is larger than his clones.  Perhaps you'll be luckier..

Nvreloader:
JimD
Hit up your local gunsmith, I am sure he would have one that would fit,
also the bay will have them also.......... ;)
Hth's
Don

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version