GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Air Archery

Is it possible/has it been done?

(1/2) > >>

splitbeing:
Arrow launching air rifle with a springer design?

lefteyeshot:
I bought an old Beeman RS2 Sliver Kodiak at a pawn shop. I just wanted the barrels for an experiment. I wondered if you drilled out the hole in the front of the barrel block where th barrels go same size as an arrow or bolt, then drilled out the hole in the front of the compression chamber where the breach seal was.

You'd have to have a steel rod or something to cock it. Slide the arrow in and the back end of the arrow would be against the front of the piston when cocked. Maybe put the feathers on the shaft where the arrow stuck out the front.

I don't know, maybe kind'a sort'a like that. I ended up giving the gun sans barrels to a friend with a friend needed the trigger group.

anti-squirrel:

--- Quote from: splitbeing on March 05, 2023, 08:26:18 PM ---Arrow launching air rifle with a springer design?

--- End quote ---
So would this be a spring-powered crossbow, or a air-powered springer-bow?

Either way, when you compare springer power levels to what's needed to power a bolt/arrow to any real distance with accuracy, I think just about every springer on the market comes up way short on power once you consider the weight of the projectile.  There's a huge difference in mass between even carbon bolts versus pellets.  The few .30 caliber springers would be at the lower end of power needed- and they don't throw 100-grain pellets.  A crossbow bolt will weigh more.

It might be worth adapting blowgun darts, though.  However, they need enough resistance and mass to ensure the shot cycle isn't like a dry-fire.  The blowguns I have utilize darts that are far too light for shooting out of a springer... but I DEFINITELY like this idea.

Spacebus:

--- Quote from: anti-squirrel on June 06, 2023, 01:19:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: splitbeing on March 05, 2023, 08:26:18 PM ---Arrow launching air rifle with a springer design?

--- End quote ---
So would this be a spring-powered crossbow, or a air-powered springer-bow?

Either way, when you compare springer power levels to what's needed to power a bolt/arrow to any real distance with accuracy, I think just about every springer on the market comes up way short on power once you consider the weight of the projectile.  There's a huge difference in mass between even carbon bolts versus pellets.  The few .30 caliber springers would be at the lower end of power needed- and they don't throw 100-grain pellets.  A crossbow bolt will weigh more.

It might be worth adapting blowgun darts, though.  However, they need enough resistance and mass to ensure the shot cycle isn't like a dry-fire.  The blowguns I have utilize darts that are far too light for shooting out of a springer... but I DEFINITELY like this idea.

--- End quote ---

I was thinking darts or the mini crossbow bolts might work

anti-squirrel:
Now I want to make a C02 cartridge-powered blowgun out of a spare 2400 pistol I have sitting around. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version