GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > "Bob and Lloyds Workshop"

Carbon fiber tube questions

<< < (4/4)

Spacebus:

--- Quote from: WhatUPSbox? on March 08, 2023, 07:18:32 PM ---I'm not sure the carbon tube approach addresses the barrel getting bumped issue. Maybe a barrel band that is two separate clamps where you can bond the lower section to the tube. Conceptually something like this design.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832761554550.html

Of course you could go the airbag route and wrap a pool noodle around the barrel.  ;D

--- End quote ---

You're right, it might not matter. This barrel is 23" including the LDC, 19" actual including the stub inside the receiver. I think this noodle barrel is just a touch too long to be out there unsupported. I'm hoping by modifying the M-Lok rail to be indexed to the grip and then tensioning the whole gun with the CF tube it will be rigid enough to handle the same kind of abuse that any decent quality PB could take. I think that tension combined with a worm drive clamp with shim around the barrel and bottle will make the whole thing pretty resistant to POI shift. Maybe the 18mm OD double sleeve will be rigid enough to not need that clamp and I can enjoy the asthetic of the CF.

I also plan on testing without any barrel band at all and just running the CF tube the whole length. My order included enough material to put 18mm od double sleeves for my Stormrider and Bandito, so I'll have enough to test both configurations before I decide. I really want to use that M-Lok rail and I'm hoping it works out, but I'll do whatever is going to work the best.

WhatUPSbox?:
Since the bottle is off center on a drop tank, it may be able to move if you bump it and nudge the barrel if it is clamped to it. I love 3D printing but tightening fasteners has some risk. I keep coming back to your approach of indexing the barrel band to the tube, hence the idea of bonding onto the tube. That way, unless you bend the barrel, you should stay on boresight.

Spacebus:

--- Quote from: WhatUPSbox? on March 08, 2023, 08:22:01 PM ---Since the bottle is off center on a drop tank, it may be able to move if you bump it and nudge the barrel if it is clamped to it. I love 3D printing but tightening fasteners has some risk. I keep coming back to your approach of indexing the barrel band to the tube, hence the idea of bonding onto the tube. That way, unless you bend the barrel, you should stay on boresight.

--- End quote ---

I never thought about bonding the rail/band to the tube, only making alignment pins. Tubes are inexpensive enough to get a new one if I don't want the rail on there in the future. Is this another application for green loctite?

My drop block/tank arrangement is not as robust as Bob's so you may be right about not clamping the barrel to it. So far my tank block has not rotated since installing it and pressurizing the system.

WhatUPSbox?:
A less intrusive option might be to bond on a simple sleeve that has an indexing feature on it and then clamp over that with a band that picks up the feature.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version