GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > China/Asian AirGun Gate

Umarex Octane Elite.3

(1/2) > >>

Novagun:
I hope I am through the right gate 
A couple of days ago I bought Octane Elite mostly on the recommendation of Rich Eusler of Airgun Web . There was a bit of FOMO involved as airguns apart from Gamo are a bit scarce here especially in  22  They that know have been promising resupply since January  not here yet but I reckon the prices are going to skyrocket 
The new rifle is everything that Eusler said it is 
Big heavy requiring exertion to cock  can be done one handed but two is much easier   This model has the Stopshox moving action. It is a bit rattled but works exactly as intended. I think this rifle would be objectionable to shot without it.. l think the butt stock could do with some weight in it but as there is a warranty issue that will have to wait  The muzzle brake incorporates a suppressorthat works   The rifle is still noisey but that is the shooter hearing the magnum action crashing about . Depending on pellet the Gun is putting out 22 to just under 25 foot pounds . Accuracy is fair but may improve when iI learn how to shoot the gun   The trigger is very heavy   I can only compare it to a Lee Enfield  303. The had about a 6 pound break. This gun is not that heavy but still heavy. There is anadjustment screw  but it only takes up freeway on the single stage trigger  Eusler said he adjusted the trigger pull to 2 5 lbs but I can't see how to do that without substituting a longer screw like the Gamo SAT . I saw the rifle at gun city and then later decided to buy it   I paid over the internet and the rifle was delivered to the small bore clubina borrowed hard case . Receipt and price ticket but no box.   First alert the barrel was quite clean and on patching through the patches came out with typical residue associated with use   2nd alert the rifle did not diesel nmuch just a couple of smokey shots   3rd alert  I can not get the umarex scope to centre   the cross hairs are stick with right w.indage .
There is a warranty claim straight away   how dthat will work out with a umarex package rifle and scopee I don't know   The scope if it worked is perfectly adequate for a second tier rifle and imight dig my heels in for more money for an upgrade scope  I strongly suspect that this rifle is second hand and has been put  back in the rack
I have sent a message to the salesman about the dud scope but as expected no reply .
The rifle itself shoots much as expected with open sights
I will be following up soon and I do not expect a replacement Umarex scope to be supplied because I do not think they have one nor another full replacement package. We will see what happens

Denby95:
This is probably a chinese springer? So chinese gate ? Umarex no longer sells the good german Walther or Diana stuff.

Hope your warranty experience goes well... I've nothing positive to say about dealings with Umarex.

uglymike:
I'm following this thread. I agree, you bought a used rifle. I shot one, same experience as you. Heavy, heavy trigger, not very accurate, throw away supplied scope. Good luck with customer service.

Novagun:

This thread ended up in the Chinese gate. I have looked at the Umarex page and it is a bit vague about what they actually produce apart from co2 powered classic replicas and they say they Are Europe's biggest importers of airguns. Then there is Umarex USA.  I accept that it is a Chinese gun. So be it. The detailing on the metal work suggests that. Acceptable for a working gun but  eye catching in its imperfections.
I still hold the opinion that it is a second hand gun. I have not seen the salesman again since I took possession of it so have not been able to place that before him, if he even knows.
I was a bit disgruntled with the rifle and took 10 days off sailing. Forgot the thing and put it down to a not very successful buy. It was a lot cheaper to decide I don't want a magnum springer than a troublesome expensive Diana.

Anyway I do not care, used or not. The problem with the scope I now think was a manifestation of buyer remorse.  I swapped the weaver type scope mounts around and got things lined up properly and behold the windage adjustment works fine.. Every thing else I have said about the rifle remains unchanged. The stock I have discovered is very good for a plastic one. The butt stock, being for the most part, solid plastic does not transmit action noise to the ear like a hollow one and the small hollow cheek rest part is comfortable. The whole stock although a little different is very good. The safety catch in front of the trigger is better than Gamo but took some getting used too.
The whole rifle is a different shooting experience and takes a bit to learn. Especially the heavy trigger. I haven't found out how to adjust it as Rick Eusler says he did but I will find out.
Now the telling part. After  leaving the gun for a while I came back and picked it up. I wonder how this piece of junk goes. At 26 metres and rested on a door jamb I shot a 20 mm bull at 26 metres. Missed the whole A4 sheet of paper. Another shot and no hole in the paper. Not so! two holes in the dark dot that I could not see. It has consistently done that since then.

This is good gun, just a little different.  In view of my recent experience with a new Diana and reports I have read all I can say is that Diana needs to get real with prices snd quality because the value is just not there. And Gamo with their BSA Spitfire are on the same path.
Well pleased so far.  Now to take it rabbiting.

PelletSport:

--- Quote from: Novagun on March 22, 2023, 06:31:46 PM ---
This thread ended up in the Chinese gate. I have looked at the Umarex page and it is a bit vague about what they actually produce apart from co2 powered classic replicas and they say they Are Europe's biggest importers of airguns. Then there is Umarex USA.  I accept that it is a Chinese gun. So be it. The detailing on the metal work suggests that. Acceptable for a working gun but  eye catching in its imperfections.
I still hold the opinion that it is a second hand gun. I have not seen the salesman again since I took possession of it so have not been able to place that before him, if he even knows.
I was a bit disgruntled with the rifle and took 10 days off sailing. Forgot the thing and put it down to a not very successful buy. It was a lot cheaper to decide I don't want a magnum springer than a troublesome expensive Diana.

Anyway I do not care, used or not. The problem with the scope I now think was a manifestation of buyer remorse.  I swapped the weaver type scope mounts around and got things lined up properly and behold the windage adjustment works fine.. Every thing else I have said about the rifle remains unchanged. The stock I have discovered is very good for a plastic one. The butt stock, being for the most part, solid plastic does not transmit action noise to the ear like a hollow one and the small hollow cheek rest part is comfortable. The whole stock although a little different is very good. The safety catch in front of the trigger is better than Gamo but took some getting used too.
The whole rifle is a different shooting experience and takes a bit to learn. Especially the heavy trigger. I haven't found out how to adjust it as Rick Eusler says he did but I will find out.
Now the telling part. After  leaving the gun for a while I came back and picked it up. I wonder how this piece of junk goes. At 26 metres and rested on a door jamb I shot a 20 mm bull at 26 metres. Missed the whole A4 sheet of paper. Another shot and no hole in the paper. Not so! two holes in the dark dot that I could not see. It has consistently done that since then.

This is good gun, just a little different.  In view of my recent experience with a new Diana and reports I have read all I can say is that Diana needs to get real with prices snd quality because the value is just not there. And Gamo with their BSA Spitfire are on the same path.
Well pleased so far.  Now to take it rabbiting.

--- End quote ---
Hi, Hugh.
Thanks for the good info on the Octane Elite. It is hard to find info about this rifle by a fellow airgunner (alot of the sales reviews are clearly not airgunners). BTW, I heard about it through Rick's video, too, and I am fascinated by the stop shock recoil system.
If you like, there are a couple of trigger turning videos on YouTube for the original Octane, which has the same trigger.
I am pretty sure the Octane shares the same barrel and compression tube as the BAM Xisico b28, (a copy of the Diana 350) aka Umarex Ruger Air Magnum, but has a different trigger, stock, and a gas spring instead of a coil spring.
I have a shooting pair (.177 & .22) of the b28 Air Magnums that I plan to detune to well below 20 ftlbs someday. They are both beasts and fun to shoot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version