GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Wild Game Preparation and Recipes Gate

Squirrel with gravy over mashed potatoes

(1/1)

Bent Skirt:
This has become my go to squirrel recipe that I found a couple of years ago on Tim Farmers country kitchen. It’s so good 5 of my coworkers who never ate squirrel before could not believe it was squirrel. Just thought the group may like it.

2-3 squirrels quartered
32oz chicken broth
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 medium sized onion
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup white wine
Dash of Thyme
3 chicken bouillon cubes

Place in crockpot for 4 - 6 hours on high.
Debone the squirrel and transfer the meat back into the crockpot.
Mix some of the broth with seasoned flour for thickener until desired thickness add to your crockpot.
Serve over a heaping bed of mashed potatoes and enjoy.

longislandhunter:
I've got 2 squirrels in the freezer that I was going to defrost and fry up but I'm gonna try this instead.  Thanks for posting :)

Jeff

Bent Skirt:
Had to edit the recipe, I forgot about the bouillon cubes.

Your welcome @longislandhunter I hope you enjoy it.

Bent Skirt:
Would just like to add some pertinent information to this for those that have not cooked squirrels in a crockpot before.

place the squirrels and all ingredients into crockpot set to High for 4 - 6 hours. No need to stir just put it in the crockpot and walk away and enjoy the delicious aroma.

About 4 to 5 hours in check to see if the meat is starting to fall off the bone. When it’s ready remove the squirrel halves de-bone and return the meat to the crockpot. This is why I prefer to cut them in half it makes it a lot easier to retrieve from the crockpot without having little bones falling in. My first attempt when I quartered them was a mess.

Take a measured cup of broth from the crockpot and thicken with seasoned flour to desired thickness and add to the crockpot. NOTE: you do not have to stir, if you can’t control yourself and you must stir, use a wooden spoon and be very gentle as the meat is very tender and delicate at this point. The first time I made this Mrs. Bent Skirt had to insert her cooking expertise  ::)  :o into my cooking and used a whisk, when I realized what she was doing I cried out Nooooo  :-\ She pulled the whisk out and some of my supple squirrel bits was shredded and all in the whisk ::)   :'( At this point start preparing and cooking your potatoes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version