GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Tuners

.25 Dragonfly MK2 by Wes Bashforth.

<< < (4/10) > >>

Horatio:

--- Quote from: EdinGa on December 16, 2022, 02:49:05 AM ---
--- Quote from: WesBob on December 15, 2022, 09:27:23 AM ---
--- Quote from: EdinGa on December 15, 2022, 06:36:11 AM ---Not a Dragonfly, and it only makes 15 fpe but it's a short range hammer. Quiet too. Notice the lack of ldc... Don't need one with this baby. I've always wanted a .25 pumper, so I built it and now Wes blows it out of the water.  ;D

--- End quote ---
Looks great! That does sound like it'd be nice and quiet.

--- End quote ---

I have a question for anyone that wants to chime in. I'm guessing my .25 converted 362 is more efficient because it's making more power with less noise than it's .22 counterpart. Would a low power .30 conversion be even more efficient? Whatsquirrel has inspired me to peer into this rabbit hole. I would be happy lobbing .30s at 12 to 15 fpe. Of course, I'll be casting my own pellets or maybe even round balls.

--- End quote ---

Iíve always wanted a .30 muzzleloader, but thatís another story.

EdinGa:

--- Quote from: WesBob on December 15, 2022, 09:26:24 AM ---
--- Quote from: Spacebus on December 15, 2022, 06:18:33 AM ---

Is the barrel choked?

--- End quote ---
It's a 25 cal Stormrider barrel I put on there and no it doesn't seem these are choked.

--- End quote ---

No choke? Hmmm... I might be buying another NOE mold soon.

Horatio:

--- Quote from: EdinGa on December 16, 2022, 02:49:05 AM ---
--- Quote from: WesBob on December 15, 2022, 09:27:23 AM ---
--- Quote from: EdinGa on December 15, 2022, 06:36:11 AM ---Not a Dragonfly, and it only makes 15 fpe but it's a short range hammer. Quiet too. Notice the lack of ldc... Don't need one with this baby. I've always wanted a .25 pumper, so I built it and now Wes blows it out of the water.  ;D

--- End quote ---
Looks great! That does sound like it'd be nice and quiet.

--- End quote ---

I have a question for anyone that wants to chime in. I'm guessing my .25 converted 362 is more efficient because it's making more power with less noise than it's .22 counterpart. Would a low power .30 conversion be even more efficient? Whatsquirrel has inspired me to peer into this rabbit hole. I would be happy lobbing .30s at 12 to 15 fpe. Of course, I'll be casting my own pellets or maybe even round balls.

--- End quote ---

Maybe the DF2 can be made into a .30?
And if you want lower power keep it under 10 pumps.

Knowing that you and others have made the 1322 (and therefore the 362) into a .25 is part of what put the thought into my head to ask about the DF2 in .25.

Wanting a .25 pumper but not being a machinist and not knowing who is currently in business making bigger steal breaches, not remembering if a .25 NPXL barrel would fit, etc.

HPP-Mechanic:
I would be curious to see what gains a .22 would see... Wes, how much did you open up the valve & barrel ports?

One thing Im having trouble wrapping my head around-Slowing the hammer down. I thought that the goal to more power was to open the valve up faster, and use a stiffer hammer spring?

I experimented with my Dragonfly with a spring that was obviously too soft, in an attempt to get an easier cocking bolt. The bolt pulled back much easier, but the hammer had a way softer sounding smack. I also had air left in the gun, and a second dry-fire was needed to empty.

WesBob:

--- Quote from: HPP-Mechanic on December 16, 2022, 03:45:10 PM ---I would be curious to see what gains a .22 would see... Wes, how much did you open up the valve & barrel ports?

One thing Im having trouble wrapping my head around-Slowing the hammer down. I thought that the goal to more power was to open the valve up faster, and use a stiffer hammer spring?

I experimented with my Dragonfly with a spring that was obviously too soft, in an attempt to get an easier cocking bolt. The bolt pulled back much easier, but the hammer had a way softer sounding smack. I also had air left in the gun, and a second dry-fire was needed to empty.

--- End quote ---
I believe it was 3/16 but I'm not even sure now, lol. That would be too much for the 22.
A lot of times that's correct that a more powerful spring will give more power but if you have a short valve stem then it's a balancing act. Too much hammer spring and it opens and closes that valve super fast so only a small amount of air gets up in the barrel. Too little hammer spring and it can't open the valve fully. So it's in between that is optimal. The Dragonfly has way too long and stiff a spring.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version