GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Wild Game Preparation and Recipes Gate

Squirrel dinner

(1/1)

pepegraves:
....I've been cooking squirrel like like this since 1982 when I was yet a lad:

All I do is season mine with my favorite seasonings (but, I add an above avg about of red pepper flakes too)...then put him in the crock pot along with a piece of bacon..i only put enough eater to cover him up...I then smother him in sweet vadalias....let him cook on low all day...use the "broth and make the gravy with it...add the squirrel to gravy and stir til its "mince meat"....pour over your stuffing...use the biscuits to sop 8) him up .  D-lish-us!!!

buellm2:
I've been wondering about cooking squirrel for a long time.   This sounds like the recipe I should try.   Now I have to go shoot one and clean it.

splitbeing:
If in a pinch, a pressure cooker does a good job of softening it up and soaking in the spices.

nced:

--- Quote from: pepegraves on October 26, 2022, 03:49:08 PM ---....I've been cooking squirrel like like this since 1982 when I was yet a lad:

All I do is season mine with my favorite seasonings (but, I add an above avg about of red pepper flakes too)...then put him in the crock pot along with a piece of bacon..i only put enough eater to cover him up...I then smother him in sweet vadalias....let him cook on low all day...use the "broth and make the gravy with it...add the squirrel to gravy and stir til its "mince meat"....pour over your stuffing...use the biscuits to sop 8) him up .  D-lish-us!!!

--- End quote ---
When living in West Virginia my brother and I would often go on squirrel hunts with our .177 R9s and "fried squirrel" was a rather common treat (better than rabbit) and the older really tough squirrels either got the "pressure cooker" or the "all day slow simmer in a pot" treatment to "soften 'em up". Then there were the early season young squirrels that we called "friers" that simply went straight into the frying pan after cleaning and seasoning them. The result looks like this..........

YUMMM

longislandhunter:
Sounds good, gonna give that a try.  Squirrel season opens here on November 1st :)   

Thanks for sharing your recipe  :)

Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version