GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > "Bob and Lloyds Workshop"

Comparing the Precision of Tin and Lead Slugs

<< < (2/14) > >>

ballisticboy:

--- Quote from: Back_Roads on September 08, 2021, 09:00:36 PM --- Great read, I have been experimenting with cast tin and lead slugs, your calculations look to be in the ballpark with my initial test results.
 Inspired me to go cast up some of my latest .177 slugs in tin for my next range experiment. I still have to do further testing in the larger calibers that I first experimented with over a year ago, so many options so little time ;)
 Have you run the numbers for a BBT say in .22, I have had decent results with them in tin with my custom Airforce Escape UL, worth more testing IMO.

--- End quote ---

I haven't run any BBT's in tin, just lead. I was concentrating on the usual slug design to start with and can move on to alternative designs in the future. There are still many more questions to be answered, which will hopefully eventually help with non-lead slug designs and their use.

MJP:
There is no no viable substitute for lead, and there never will be.
Tin is harder and too light, and way too expensive.
Copper and brass way too hard. So we end up with nothing or something expensive and not as working.

Sabots and tungsten maybe. That works in my guns but I don't think the authorities want us to use armor piercing projectile?

These green folk have no idea what is really harmful to people, or the environment, or do they? Lead is so heavy that it sinks to the bottom if in water, but plastic in the other hand.

Marko

Back_Roads:
 I use tin projectiles when pesting, as I leave the carcass for the critters higher on the food chain to get a free lead free meal. Not a fan of plastic either, melts to the barrel at higher powers, and there is enough of it in the environment already.

rsterne:
Pure tin is about BHN 10, so certainly not too hard for use in an airgun.... and it melts at a lower temperature than lead, so easy to cast.... It is softer than 5% tin in lead, for example.... Expensive, yes....  ::)

Bob

BigBird:

--- Quote from: MJP on September 12, 2021, 01:52:25 AM ---There is no no viable substitute for lead, and there never will be.
Tin is harder and too light, and way too expensive.
Copper and brass way too hard. So we end up with nothing or something expensive and not as working.

Sabots and tungsten maybe. That works in my guns but I don't think the authorities want us to use armor piercing projectile?

These green folk have no idea what is really harmful to people, or the environment, or do they? Lead is so heavy that it sinks to the bottom if in water, but plastic in the other hand.

Marko

--- End quote ---

Agreed.  Not to detract from the science here which has no political motive. The lead vs tin argument really IS a politically correct action (one that doesn't make sense or really has no ground in reality but enough argument to gain followers who feel good about the rhetoric and promote it regardless).  For us in the U.S.A. I think we have to use maybe California as a thermometer in this case.  I have no idea.  Have they banned lead there or anywhere?  Has any country banned it?

Tungsten is too expensive too.  Instead of shooting expensive tungsten a friend of mine loads pea gravel in his PB shotgun shells to comply with waterfowl hunting laws.   Gets a new barrel when it wears out.  It's cheaper even when you figure in a new barrel.  And that's the craziness of these laws too.

So, hey, there's a ban on lead shot there.  I think that is US federal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version