GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > 3D printing and files

Brand is important.

(1/4) > >>

Insanity:
I have tried several brands of filament on the cheap end. So with that being said I have bought a few spools of bad filament and no matter my settings the results were dismal. It just so happens that when this covid kicked off my prefered hatchbox and overture were out of stock in black PETG. I prefer black for many reasons but mostly my customers want black parts. So I ordered some cc3d PETG filament on amazon and let me tell you something its straight trash in my book. String city I tried every setting I know of to eliminate stringing and nothing changed. With hatchbox and overture my hardware and settings produce great products so its most definitely junk filament. Could I received a bad batch sure I could have but I will not test that theory. So it is important to purchase the best quality filament you can afford, as the cheap stuff may cost you more in the end one way or another.

AGEnthused2:
I’ve used cc3d white PETG with great success, I had no reject prints, I think there are bad batches. So far I’ve only had one brand of filament that ended up being bad, but it was bad at the end of the spool, it was too tightly wound. So far I haven’t been burned by sticking to filament with over 4 star reviews on amazon.

MexiGunner84:
I agree with both of your comments. First, all brands have bad batches at some point or another. However, some brands have a higher recurrence of bad batches than others. What I refuse to do is pay an exorbitant amount of money for "premium filament" that in my experience yields equal results as the aforementioned Hatchbox or the cheaper 3d solutech brand.

To counteract a potential bad batch, I throw the spool into a dehydrator so that I can guarantee the lowest moisture content before printing. I generally leave it overnight if a job is not urgent. But in a pinch, I will dry the spool for at least 3-hours.

Taking this approach has resulted in less failed prints and virtually eliminated "string city" .

Also, some filaments like to print at hotter temps than suggested by the manufacturer. For example, with just about any PLA, I increase the suggested nozzle temp by 10°C. With Petg I only increase 5°C then go from there. For ABS, I leave it be. ABS already prints hot enough to not cause any issues.

Also, the build quality of the printer, nozzle, extruder matters when printing customer-ready prints.

Just my 2 cents.

AGEnthused2:
I’ve had great success with solutech too, I’m in a dry high desert, so humidity hasn’t been an issue.
I run my Quidi tech printer tech next to an incubator and haven’t noticed any issues with stringing. I hope quail like ABS fumes because that’s what they are getting.

Sbak:
Filament looks wet, I print all my filaments directly out of a food dehydrator. Even cheap petg, nylon and pc blends print well when dried. Adjust extrusion for every single new roll of filament regardless whether it is cheap or not and even bad batches will come out nice. Only problem which the cheap stuff is getting a roll with a thick spot hidden in the middle. It can cause jams, but other than that decent quality prints

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version