GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > 3D printing and files

Original Prusa i3 MK3s

(1/2) > >>

joer:
Has anyone had any experience with Prusa printers?  I am looking at getting one as a kit in the near future.  They seem to be well supported by the manufacturer.

joer:
I ordered the printer.  My guess it will ship in a couple of weeks.  This seems to be a good machine to learn 3D printing on. 

I am currently learning Fusion 360.  This is my first pass at 3D CAD.  I've used AutoCAD on and off since the mid 1980s for 2D stuff so this seemed to be the way to go.

a1rgunz:
I don't think you can go wrong with Prusa, so many printers on the market are clones of that design, so they have to be doing something right. Having good manufacturer support can be a huge plus.

Fusion 360 is a great CAD program, I've been using it for about a year both personally and professionally and am very happy with it. The only real downsides are the constant new releases which are sometimes buggy or change the interface a bit and it doesn't always play well when transferring things between it and SolidWorks (this is more an issue with SolidWorks than anything, but frustrating). For the features and price I don't think it can be beat!

Rob M:
if youre new to CAd, tinker is easier to get started.. I use tinker and fusion , and for basic ideas, tinkercad covers almost everything.. put a box on the screen , you can add another shape , or subtract a shape from the box.. Start there, it will go fast.. the hollow transparent shapes are for subtractng , SO use those for holes and so on.. Fusion has a million advantages, but getting from A to B is the challenge, B to C is just a matteer of time.

joer:

--- Quote from: Rob M on May 16, 2020, 03:57:01 PM ---if youre new to CAd, tinker is easier to get started.. I use tinker and fusion , and for basic ideas, tinkercad covers almost everything.. put a box on the screen , you can add another shape , or subtract a shape from the box.. Start there, it will go fast.. the hollow transparent shapes are for subtractng , SO use those for holes and so on.. Fusion has a million advantages, but getting from A to B is the challenge, B to C is just a matteer of time.

--- End quote ---
I considered Tinkercad but decided to bite the bullet and go with Fusion 360.  My first project was a drain plug stub alignment widget for a Newport Brass sink drain.  It basically centers the stud on the open/close arm.  A little piece of plastic that seems to be made of 'unobtainium".  A visitor to the house trying to fix a plugged drain unscrewed the drain plug pulled the clogged widget out and threw it away.  Nobody seems to have them.  It was pretty simple to design on Fusion though it took a bit of a learning curve.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version