GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > "Bob and Lloyds Workshop"

Made a booster pump (added a VIDEO)

(1/5) > >>

lloyd-ss:
I had seen where some folks had booster pumps to increase the pressure from their partially-used-up scuba tanks.
I decided to try and make one.  Found a brand new SMC air cylinder with 4" bore x 8" stroke for $50 on eBay. The rod on it is 1" dia x 8" long with a 3/4-16 thd on the end. The air cylinder was the only thing I bought; everything else came from my junk boxes.

There is a thick adapter plate between the air cylinder and the high pressure cylinder. Input is thru a Foster quick disconnect and a check valve so that the depleted scuba tank flows air into high pressure cylinder. The high pressure cylinder of the unit is 1.50 dia aluminum pipe, .187 wall, 1.125 I.D.  I have it set up to compress the  the air on the pull stroke.  The cylinder rod is 1" in dia, so the actual swept volume of the high pressure side is a little over 25cc.  Output is thru a check valve and tube fitting on the side of the adapter plate.

I tried it for the first time tonight and it pumped 1200psi air to a new pressure of 3,000 psi in a 48 cu in (786cc) paintball tank.  It took about 25 strokes to do it, but it worked like a champ.

Here are some pics.

Lloyd

JonnyReb:
  You did what?... lol. oh, designed a wonderful new invention out of parts in your closet ;D all in a days work for some ;D

Awesome Lloyd, i'm rather blown away by it :o, btw are those pop-type 3/8" plumbing fittings?

rsterne:
Very KEWL Lloyd.... If I didn't have a ShoeBox I'd be all over this idea....

Bob

goodland:
LLoyd that is awesome ;D

Great work we need to put you and rsterne in a warehouse for a while and see what you guys can come up with. ;D

rsterne:
In a WHAT?!?!?.... OH!.... a WAREhouse....  ;D

Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version