GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Crosman-Benjamin Air Gun Gate

Read before you buy a new rifled barrel for an old crosman 760

(1/3) > >>

bantam5s:
You may or may not hear somewhere that you can buy a rifled barrel from crosman that is a drop in for the model 760, well it might not work in your gun so here's what you need to know.

if you're gun is self cocking it will not accept this current rifled barrel.
If it was made in 1977 or later it should be manual cocking and will accept this rifled barrel, though some may require you to clip off a little nib on the barrels' plastic chamber block so it will fit.

Here's a direct quote from the crosman website about dating your gun
CROSMAN PRODUCT DATES OF MANUFACTURE
This page will help you ascertain when your Crosman gun was in production. In the year 1975 Crosman Corporation began to use a serial number system that can help you identify when your gun was made. Prior to 1975 our serial number system was limited only to warranty concerns.

In order to be more accurate, you can use the serial number as an indicator.

If your Crosman airgun was manufactured after July of 1975, the first three or four digits of the serial number indicate the month and year the gun was built. For example if the first three or four digits of the serial number were 1179 or N79 then your gun was manufactured in November of 1979.

Just to note, a self cocking gun is one that doesn't have to be cocked to fire, the valve cocks itself by way of air pressure when you pump it.

bantam5s:
This is important information so it would be great if the mods would sticky it.

unionrdr:
Good thing for folks to know. My variant one 760 Powermaster (1966-70) does have a number stamped on the pump tube end cap. Mine was stamped, " 68" which I'm told means 6-68, or June 1968. A lil heads up on the earlier, pre-'75 ones.
   Gun in background is Crosman Optimus .22 for my son.

bantam5s:

--- Quote from: unionrdr on September 13, 2017, 04:20:34 PM ---Good thing for folks to know. My variant one 760 Powermaster (1966-70) does have a number stamped on the pump tube end cap. Mine was stamped, " 68" which I'm told means 6-68, or June 1968. A lil heads up on the earlier, pre-'75 ones.
   Gun in background is Crosman Optimus .22 for my son.

--- End quote ---

This is normally accurate if it's not too filled in with paint to read , however you can end up with things like my 2nd variant ( in production from '71-'74 ) that's got 3 6 on it.
This is only an issue Because it appears to have been original to the gun.

unionrdr:
They're good for using up parts they have laying around. The difference with Ford, though, was we all had to count out all the parts for the different model engines we built in Cleveland so they knew how many they could complete. Boxing the rest out on the dock as service parts.  I know mine has to be right, since I'm the original owner and remember my age when I bought it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version