Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Sharpening knives? What do you use?  (Read 959 times))

Offline Habanero69er

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • NRA life member 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 Keep America Great!
Re: Sharpening knives? What do you use?
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2021, 06:46:31 PM »
Any tips on sharpening a serrated blade? I have a Leatherman Wave & Titanium that I use daily at work and the Titaniumís serrated blade is in need of a good sharpening.
  • Ormond by the Sea, Florida, USA
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Find other GTA members in your area. 🇺🇸
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Offline RichH

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2021, 07:16:07 PM »
Work Sharp for me. For years I used an Edge Pro fixed angle. It works great but takes 10 times as long to re-profile a blade. With the Work Sharp, once you "learn" to use it is quick and gets my blades razor sharp. Need to be careful on tip or you will round them off.
  • USA, PA, YORK

Offline Hawks Feather

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2021, 08:12:16 PM »
Knife A Holic here.  I started with cheap oil stones and then moved to better water stones.  Then Lansky came to visit my basement and I liked what it did, but I also picked up a few ceramic hones.  Next was the Edge Pro which put the Lansky into storage.  This was followed by picking up the knife tools for the Tormek, but I could never get the edge that I really wanted.  Then I started with Wicked Edge which is addictive.  The only problem with the Wicked Edge is when you have a small pocketknife, but there are work arounds for that. 
  • USA, Ohio, Defiance

Offline KevinJBrown

• GTA Moderator
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2021, 09:21:32 PM »
Any tips on sharpening a serrated blade? I have a Leatherman Wave & Titanium that I use daily at work and the Titaniumís serrated blade is in need of a good sharpening.
Find a stone that matches the serrations. That's the only solution I have found. That is why I don't carry or use serrated blades (although all blades have tiny serrations).
  • USA, Mahomet, IL
Benjamin Marauder .22
Diana Trailscout .22
6 - Daisy Avanti 499b Champion .177 BB Guns

NUAH Club - Sharpshooter

Offline Matchstickshooter

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2021, 11:04:55 PM »

I have touched my serrated blades up with a very fine round pin file (rat tail file) ...
  • Lyndon,Vt.
Crosman 1377RC pistol .177
Crosman  1322 carbine  .22
Crosman   2240 carbine .22
Crosman 1400 Slimline
Daisy Powerline 853c     .177
Daisy 880                     .177
Daisy M/M 880 Shadow (FrankenDaisy) .177

Offline Novagun

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2021, 11:11:10 PM »
For serrated edged knives where the serrations are more like scallops I use a piece of fine wet and dry paper, say 400 grit and run along the edge of the blade. That freshens the edge and you don't need a razer edge on them. For the really small saw tooth type ones -- nothing.
  • New Zealand

Offline Chris USA

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2021, 09:35:34 AM »
Thanks for all the fine comments guys! I picked up a few new names to look into and some new ideas. Like anything,.. it is easy to make things more complicated than need be.
  • Ohio
Daystate Red Wolf HP/FAC in .25, 8-34x56 Athlon Argos
Maximus "hunter" in .22, 4-12x44 UTG
Barra 1866
Avanti 499
75th anniversary Red Ryder

Offline Nvreloader

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2021, 07:29:05 PM »
I use both the Lansky and Work Sharp options, both work very well, for me.

Plus the Work Sharp in the slack belt options can be used for polishing (with the proper grit belt) trigger and sears parts etc............. ;)

Don
  • Western  NV
Sheridan 64/67 yr models, 20 cal/Hammerli 850 Air Mag -17 cal x 2, + 22 cal /QB-79 - 22 cal /Guantlet - 22 cal / Crosman 150 - 22 cal, Second Variant Model /Crosman 160 - 1st Variant Model - 22 cal /MRod Varmint 22 cal /Sentry 705-2 - 22 cal /Sentry 705 - 9T - 25 cal / Dar 17 cal /22 cal Discovery
CF 4500 45 min SCBA tanks x 3, w/SB F-10 compressor

"Speeds fine, but Accuracy is final"

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker,
It is time to restore the American precept, that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan

Offline Yarddog

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2021, 12:40:18 AM »
A Work Sharp has given me absolutely the best results ever.
  • Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Offline uswood

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2021, 09:25:27 PM »
Worksharp field sharpener! It has small ceramic rod for serrated blades.
  • Easley,S.C.

Offline Mrblonde40

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2021, 07:28:08 PM »
Lansky works great for me.  Regular kit works for most, but if you have a harder steel like ATS34 or 154CM you need the diamond coated version.
  • Chesaning, Michigan, USA

Offline Lead-Slinger

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2021, 03:35:01 PM »

This is what I use for serrated edges.
  • San Diego County, CA
Pew Pew Pew,
Austin

Offline d27447

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2021, 04:00:44 PM »
Oil bath sharpening stones that butchers use and finish with a honing steel.  When you can shave the hair on your arm you are good to go :).  When I was a kid I sharpened knives for my Dad and Uncle in the butcher shop.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 04:07:28 PM by d27447 »
  • Conroe, TX, USA

Offline MadKatt

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2021, 05:13:29 AM »
Wicked Edge system it works wonders plus itís great for dummies pretty hard to screw up with it.
  • USA,  NE, Omaha

Offline DanD

• Nod and smile.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • A solid maybe
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2021, 08:58:33 AM »
I can get most knives and shaving sharp with a Spyderco Sharpmaker. Also good for scissors and trigger sears.
  • Binghamton, NY

Offline Wepster

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2021, 11:50:03 AM »

At about 3 minutes in, he discusses sharpening serrated  (Walter Sorrels, Knifemaker)
  • Syracuse, NY, USA
ďNever try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.Ē Robert Heinlein
ďSome people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.Ē  Patricia Briggs

1377-brown and black, 2300T, Marksman 2070, Beeman P17(2), Industry Brand B3-2, Diana Chaser kit .177, Crosman PSM45, Daisy 35 pink camo, Daisy 880(2), CMP 853 (straight and monte carlo), Winchester 1100ss, Browning buck mark .177, Daisy 74, Crosman cr357

Offline Sqrl Klr

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Best to have and not need.
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2021, 10:30:59 PM »
Electric sharpener somewhat similar to this below but I'm not impressed with it or the hand held sharpener I have either as it takes a long time to get knives sharp with those. I've never thought about using oil with them. Never got into using stones. I need to up my sharpening game.

• Texas
There is much needed hope for the future. Our world is not falling out of place it's falling into place just as foretold. https://christinprophecy.org/

Offline bantam5s

• They might sound like a lot of work till you realize you only need 3-4 pumps for plinking.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2021, 12:45:49 AM »
I had one of those red handled pull through sharpeners from my grandmother,  and I threw it away.
I had a razor edge on my favorite 100 year old 6" butcher that had started to get a little dull, I decided to try this thing and it went from a little dull to completely dull in one pass so I just threw it away.
I'm sure it probably depends on the knife and blade steel.

My dad got one of those electric sharpeners when I was a kid, and he completely destroyed his pocket knife the first time he went to use it.
They can work and lots of commercial kitchens will use that kind of thing but they're not good for every type of knife and you have to be careful or you can ruin a knife.

• USA CA Arbuckle
some days you kill it and some days you choke, some days you blast off and some days you just smoke

Offline Spin

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2021, 01:20:15 AM »
I'm very old school I se what is handy like a nice rock, edge of a car window glass, wire wheel on a bench grinder, OK I have very cheap ED knives. My slightly better stuff rarely gets used so a properly aligned few swipes on a flat stone with oil now and then after use.

In a pinch the semi rounded bottom of a ceramic coffee cup or mug will do for a good sharp edge if it doesn't require too much material removal.
  • USA, WI. Chilton

Offline bantam5s

• They might sound like a lot of work till you realize you only need 3-4 pumps for plinking.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2021, 05:59:09 AM »
I'm very old school I se what is handy like a nice rock, edge of a car window glass, wire wheel on a bench grinder, OK I have very cheap ED knives. My slightly better stuff rarely gets used so a properly aligned few swipes on a flat stone with oil now and then after use.

In a pinch the semi rounded bottom of a ceramic coffee cup or mug will do for a good sharp edge if it doesn't require too much material removal.
I use the bottom edge of a mug all the time.
I also have around somewhere a large flat section of a broken toilet tank I use as a fine grit stone.
I have no clue what grit ut would be but it's pretty fine.
  • USA CA Arbuckle
some days you kill it and some days you choke, some days you blast off and some days you just smoke