Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Sharpening knives? What do you use?  (Read 964 times))

Offline DevilsLuck

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • N.U.A.H.-Sharp Shooter
Re: Sharpening knives? What do you use?
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2021, 08:37:46 PM »
Knives are not screwdrivers, knives are not hammers, knives shouldn't be used to jump starter solenoids... ???
I resemble that remark! While what you say is true... As an EDC, the knife you carry may be tasked with doing things it may not have been designed/trained to do. The question then becomes... Did it rise to the occasion, do the job, and soldier on? That's the mark of a true EDC. And it bears the scars just as proudly as you show them....
If I buy a knife; and six months later it looks just as "good" as the day I bought bought it..? I've not only insulted the blade; but the blade maker as well...
  • Pell City, AL
Diana 54 /.22
Daisy 853 /.177
HW77k Special Edition /.22
Diana 48 B /.22
Air Arms TX200 MK III /.22 Walnut
Crosman Storm XT /.177
Crosman P1377 /.177
Crosman SNR .357 /.177
Benjamin Trail NP Pistol /.177 Dumpster fire!
Smith & Wesson M&P 45 /.177
Benjamin Titan GP /.22
Remington Express Synthetic /.22
Crosman F4 /.177
Hatsan 135 QE Carnivore /.30
Diana 350 .22
DPMS Panther A4 Classic /.177
Diana 34 /.177
Umarex Fusion /.177
Crosman Marksman 1010 /BB
Beeman P17 X 2 /.177
Benjamin 392 /.22- out of commission...
Diana Meisterschutz /.177

Offline bantam5s

• They might sound like a lot of work till you realize you only need 3-4 pumps for plinking.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2021, 08:56:23 PM »
Knives are not screwdrivers, knives are not hammers, knives shouldn't be used to jump starter solenoids... ???
I resemble that remark! While what you say is true... As an EDC, the knife you carry may be tasked with doing things it may not have been designed/trained to do. The question then becomes... Did it rise to the occasion, do the job, and soldier on? That's the mark of a true EDC. And it bears the scars just as proudly as you show them....
If I buy a knife; and six months later it looks just as "good" as the day I bought bought it..? I've not only insulted the blade; but the blade maker as well...
And I resent that remark  ;)

A knife can show it's age without having been abused.

And my knives are never tasked to do anything but cut, I carry a small multitool in my pocket everyday as well as a full sized multitool and small pry bar at work.

I get that many people would rather just have a large thick folder to abuse without care, it's not my thing but I understand that it is the philosophy for some.
  • USA CA Arbuckle
some days you kill it and some days you choke, some days you blast off and some days you just smoke

Offline Bladebum

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2021, 09:02:18 PM »
being a full time knife maker, i sharpen on the same 2"x72" belt grinders i use to make them. They are vfd controlled so i simply turn the speed way down and freehand. 120 grit ceramic belt for cutting edge in and creating a burr, 400 grit trizact belt for refining the burr and bevel, leather strop belt to remove burr completely and polish the edge. It will cut.

for field maintenance and touch ups, i use the worksharp field sharpener. Excellent for just touching up an edge with the cermaic rods and leather strop, as well as actually sharpeneing with the two grits of diamond stones.
  • Bigfork,  MT.  USA

Offline ssbn617

• Expert
  • More fun than shooting rats at the dump
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2021, 09:07:20 PM »
I use DMX diamond stones , mostly fine to extra fine but I do have a medium for tougher jobs. For my Japanese kitchen knives I use the recommended water stones.
The stones are rarely used as I maintain the edges on my knives and hatchet ps and axes with assorted F.Dick sharping steels. It took some time to learn how to do axes with a steel but you can shave with them.
177  CCA Diana 54
20    CCA Diana 54
20    Diana 34

Offline jmoronic

• Trust me, I'm no
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2021, 09:10:14 PM »
Ah, the pointy end goes towards the bad guy right?
  • USA, DE, Newark
Life as I know it, in Dog years

Offline brewbear

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2021, 09:11:11 PM »
The "painting" of the edge with a Sharpie marker is a good tip too,.... as Jury Rigger mentioned. Saw that on You-Tube in my research. Works nice to find an unknown angle with a variable angle system,...or just to see what you are doing free hand.

"Seeing" on the other hand is a challenge. I can see some good/better light and a big magnifier in my future.  :-\

Kind of like a premium scope I suppose.
I use a cheap USB microscope that plugs in my old laptop. It was something like $30 on Amazon.
  • USA, CA, Shadow Hills

Offline DevilsLuck

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • N.U.A.H.-Sharp Shooter
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2021, 09:27:09 PM »
And I resent that remark  ;)

A knife can show it's age without having been abused.

And my knives are never tasked to do anything but cut, I carry a small multitool in my pocket everyday as well as a full sized multitool and small pry bar at work.

I get that many people would rather just have a large thick folder to abuse without care, it's not my thing but I understand that it is the philosophy for some.
I actually had to use my EDC to jump a starter. Thus the resemblance! But aside from that, my gear is often respectfully tasked with performing outside it's comfort zone. With the serrations filed out, the paint gone, rubber scale inserts, and the semi-weld attempt at the back of the blade... that Kershaw blur seved me well for an additional 2 years. For me. They are tools, not children.

P.S. I just noticed that Auto-incorrect changed "resemble" to "resent"! Resemble friend; no resentment...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 09:29:15 PM by DevilsLuck »
  • Pell City, AL
Diana 54 /.22
Daisy 853 /.177
HW77k Special Edition /.22
Diana 48 B /.22
Air Arms TX200 MK III /.22 Walnut
Crosman Storm XT /.177
Crosman P1377 /.177
Crosman SNR .357 /.177
Benjamin Trail NP Pistol /.177 Dumpster fire!
Smith & Wesson M&P 45 /.177
Benjamin Titan GP /.22
Remington Express Synthetic /.22
Crosman F4 /.177
Hatsan 135 QE Carnivore /.30
Diana 350 .22
DPMS Panther A4 Classic /.177
Diana 34 /.177
Umarex Fusion /.177
Crosman Marksman 1010 /BB
Beeman P17 X 2 /.177
Benjamin 392 /.22- out of commission...
Diana Meisterschutz /.177

Offline John4861

• Connoisseur of the 3 S's
  • Plinker
  • Was fat, dumb and happy; lately not so happy...
    • I'm on the map.
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2021, 09:55:02 PM »
Spyderco Triangle Sharp Maker.  Has done me well for decades, though I'm on my second set.
  • USA, California, Simi Valley
John4861
Never use a permanent solution to solve a temporary problem...

Offline thompsje

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2021, 10:29:12 PM »
I've used a number of things for basic sharpening (box opening or wire stripping sharpness), but if I want something really sharp I use a 6" MDF wheel and jewelers rouge on the bench grinder.   I could get the same results with a 1200 grit diamond stone, but the wheel does it in about 1/10th the time.   All the kitchen knives get a touch up on the wheel about once a month, pocket knives less often.
  • MA, USA

Offline SwampHunter

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2021, 11:39:04 PM »
Dmt diamond hones when i first sharpen, spyderco doublestuff after , an OLD casexx ceramic rod and a leather belt. Never have to go back to the dmt stones as i touch up as needed.
  • USA, FL

Offline Mole2017

• Squirrel Researcher
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2021, 12:01:22 AM »
For seeing what I am doing, I wear my computer glasses (a +1.75 add on my normal prescription) and a +2.00 pair of cheaters. However, when first checking a blade I simply turn the edge up while I am looking down at it with bright lights or sunlight--bad edges will show no matter what I am wearing!

For sharpening kitchen knives and utility blades I have a cheap coarse/fine dual diamond stone and a piece of slate. Coarse is used if I have a really dull or damaged blade. Fine is if has just been a while since last sharpened, but the blade seems ok otherwise. The slate is the fine edge. I've no idea what to compare it to, but it comes out better polished than the fine diamond left it. I cut it out of an old chalk board and dressed the faces and edges with the diamond stone. (Got a lot more if you want a piece...)

I don't have a jig for keeping the angle particularly precise; I just did it by hand until I got the muscle memory working for me. It does feel weird when  you first start out, but it gets easier with practice.

To keep the kitchen knives sharp:
a) always hand wash
b) use a wood or plastic cutting board
c) be careful of putting them in the sink with other stuff
d) don't let the wife use them (She has her own with "safety" edges--so dull I've got butter knives I'd try first, but she manages. One time I gave them the works and she managed to cut herself with one...)

I'm not a sharp knife nut, but I do cringe watching people online or TV sawing back and forth through a piece of meat when a good sharp knife might have got it on the first or second stroke...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 12:06:34 AM by Mole2017 »
  • Pendleton, SC
Gamo CFX .177 and .22, old style triggers
BSA R10 MK2 .177
Crosman 1377

Offline Vrodfast

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2021, 12:19:13 AM »
1x42 belt sander with 3m trizact belts and leather strop belt for finish.
  • USA, ID, Nampa

Offline huntr

• Shooter
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2021, 01:29:00 AM »
1x42" Kalamazoo belt grinder with some abrasive belts to get the burr started, then switch to linen belts with CBN paste applied. finish with leather belt and black compound.
  • USA, DE
Don

Offline bduares

• Marksman
  • We are all born mad. Some remain so.
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2021, 01:58:36 AM »
For many years I have used a Lansky 4-Rod Turn Box LCD5D. Never needed anything else

https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-4-rod-Turn-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B000B8FW0E

• USA, Trinity, TX
Stoeger ATAC S2 Suppressor .22
Umarex Origin .22
Xisico XSP 120D
Diana Bandit .22
AEA Challenger SL .357

Offline Matchstickshooter

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2021, 12:05:11 PM »
  oil and stones
  • Lyndon,Vt.
Crosman 1377RC pistol .177
Crosman  1322 carbine  .22
Crosman   2240 carbine .22
Crosman 1400 Slimline  .22
Daisy Powerline 853c     .177
Daisy 880                     .177
Daisy M/M 880 Shadow (FrankenDaisy) .177

Offline Airspace

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2021, 01:31:16 PM »
I use a 3 sided stone then a Smith's diamond flat all with either oil or water. My grandpa taught me to sharpen everything from a pocketknife to the blade of a scythe to a razor edge by hand.
  • USA, KY, Louisville

Offline K_sqrd

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2021, 03:10:37 PM »
I use the Edge Pro Apex system for all my knives. It allows me to adjust for the angle I need for specific knives.
Honing is done with a ceramic rod. I also have the Crock Stick, similar to the Lansky system but haven't used it
in a while. The Edge Pro works great.
  • Arizona

Offline uglymike

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2021, 04:16:39 PM »
The same steels and stones I used for decades while working on kill floors in packing houses. And no, you can't get them downtown. The steels are custom made out of chain saw files, the guy that made them for me isn't even alive any more. I used to 1st leg in the winter time with 2 of his steels and an old stone I made out of a slate blackboard. Green River 5" carbon steel legging knives that I ground myself every morning before work on a water wheel.
  • Nebraska
attitude
not aptitude
determines altitude

Online Firewalker

• Expert
  • USN from birth to the grave
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2021, 05:15:35 PM »
2x72 belt grinder to shape and form, hogging mostly then progression through belts to 800 grit scotch brite then polishing mostly by hand and 3m diamond film to 1500 grit the on a cotton wheel with red rouge.

I sharpen by hand on 10" DMT's 800, 1000 and 1500 grit them move to an Arkansas black stone cut for me that is around 1200 grit but slurries like a Jap stone giving a mirror edge.

American Bison strop with 5000 diamond grit paste and finished on a bare suede strop that's older than the Titantic.

I used to make custom straight razors but cannot hold the steel any longer for that long due to burn injuries.

My EDC  is a D2, spring assist that has a chisel edge that will not cut a tomato skin without tearing it but it will cut 22 gauge steel and not loose the edge.
  • USA, MN, Mille Lacs
You may not go around, you must go through.

Offline R.K.

• SS Shooter
  • Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2021, 06:17:55 PM »
I also butchered beef, pigs and sheep in my parents locker from age 13-30, My father worked for Rath packing for many years before he bought the locker. He could do more with his homemade steel than most could do with a stone. When I started working in the locker, he showed me how to sharpen a knife on a 8x2 no.118 carborundium (probably spelled wrong) stone. Bought my own stone just before he passed and mom closed the locker. Still have that stone and his steel. When I have to straighten up an abused edge, that is what I use. My wife lets me know when the kitchen knives need a touch up. Usually just a few strokes on the steel. The few times I let someone use my edc the first thing I tell them is IT'S SHARP!! before I hand it to them and again when I hand it to them.
  • Southeast , IA, USA