Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Posting photos from a cell phone onto this forum.  (Read 524 times))

Offline Novagun

• Expert
  • yes
Posting photos from a cell phone onto this forum.
« on: June 10, 2021, 01:13:51 PM »
I see that photos can be posted from a cell phone but have absolutely no idea how to do it. I have a run of the mill Samsung phone and A Microsoft computer program. Nothing fancy. I think it is windows 7 that has been updated.  Is there a list of instructions on how to do it. It needs to be like press button A then C then -- something that a computer dunce can follow. 
I can send photos via email (sometimes)
  • New Zealand

Offline DevilsLuck

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • N.U.A.H.-Sharp Shooter
Re: Posting photos from a cell phone onto this forum.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 01:18:22 PM »
I see that photos can be posted from a cell phone but have absolutely no idea how to do it. I have a run of the mill Samsung phone and A Microsoft computer program. Nothing fancy. I think it is windows 7 that has been updated.  Is there a list of instructions on how to do it. It needs to be like press button A then C then -- something that a computer dunce can follow. 
I can send photos via email (sometimes)
A problem that has plagued me since I signed up. I have to relearn everytime I want to post a photo…
  • Pell City, AL
Diana 54 /.22
Daisy 853 /.177
HW77k Special Edition /.22
Diana 48 B /.22
Air Arms TX200 MK III /.22 Walnut
Crosman Storm XT /.177
Crosman P1377 /.177
Crosman SNR .357 /.177
Benjamin Trail NP Pistol /.177 Dumpster fire!
Smith & Wesson M&P 45 /.177
Benjamin Titan GP /.22
Remington Express Synthetic /.22
Crosman F4 /.177
Hatsan 135 QE Carnivore /.30
Diana 350 .22
DPMS Panther A4 Classic /.177
Diana 34 /.177
Umarex Fusion /.177
Crosman Marksman 1010 /BB
Beeman P17 X 2 /.177
Benjamin 392 /.22- out of commission...
Diana Meisterschutz /.177

Offline Xraycer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Black Guns Matter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 02:50:46 PM »
I use the Lit Photo app. It's free, it is easy to use and fast! It will produce another image , but greatly compressed to meet GTA's criteria.

Go to the app store. Download the app. Once open, select compress photo. A screen well open up with all the photos on your phone. Select the image you want. It'll bring you to another screen, where you select the amount of compression. It is defaulted at 80%, which is what I use. Select compress. It'll let you know if it was successful or not.
The new compressed image will now be on your phone's hard drive. For Samsung, you should be able to easily access it in the photo gallery as well.

Now, when you want to upload it into a post on GTA, just use this new image.

It's actually a lot easier than it sounds.

The picture will appear low quality, but when you click on it, the high quality image will appear in full screen.
  • Southern NH, USA
Proud member of  F.U.G.L.Y.
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Online Lt. Dan

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • 1st John 1:9
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 03:01:52 PM »
I use the Lit Photo app as well.

Another way is to simply send yourself the picture in a text, your phone will automatically resize the photo. Then click in the picture that you have sent yourself and save it into downloads. You can attach the picture in GTA from that resized download.

The picture below started out at 2.13 Mb but after my phone resized it it's now 196.2 KB.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 03:13:02 PM by Lt. Dan »
  • USA, Mississippi,  Jones County

Offline Xraycer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Black Guns Matter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 04:24:33 PM »
I use the Lit Photo app as well.

Another way is to simply send yourself the picture in a text, your phone will automatically resize the photo. Then click in the picture that you have sent yourself and save it into downloads. You can attach the picture in GTA from that resized download.

The picture below started out at 2.13 Mb but after my phone resized it it's now 196.2 KB.
That's a great idea, Dan! Super easy, and no additional app to install.
  • Southern NH, USA

Offline Novagun

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 05:37:56 PM »
Oh dear, I have a head ache already but I am going to give a good try. Stand by for follow up questions.
  • New Zealand

Offline brewbear

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 06:10:25 PM »
Apologies for adding to your headache, but this is the one I use https://postimages.org/. It is free, it creates the link and copies it to your clipboard and all you have to do is paste it into your forum reply.
  • USA, CA, Shadow Hills

Offline Xraycer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Black Guns Matter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 06:30:07 PM »
Apologies for adding to your headache, but this is the one I use https://postimages.org/. It is free, it creates the link and copies it to your clipboard and all you have to do is paste it into your forum reply.
The issue with these link type photo posting methods, is that if the photo hosting site goes under, your image will no longer be shown in the posts you've placed it into.
The pictures I posts here are mine, and will stay forever, unless the power-that-be at GTA removes it.
  • Southern NH, USA

Offline avator

• Global Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Happiness is a warm airgun... -Lennon Modded-
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 06:35:48 PM »
The issue with these link type photo posting methods, is that if the photo hosting site goes under, your image will no longer be shown in the posts you've placed it into.
The pictures I posts here are mine, and will stay forever, unless the power-that-be at GTA removes it.
Exactly... I do not use hosting sites. I don't even use the cloud.
  • From deep within the Rabbit Hole, Alabama

Offline brewbear

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 06:43:47 PM »
That is a very good point and honestly,  I never thunk it!
  • USA, CA, Shadow Hills

Online lizzie

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 06:49:10 PM »
Hugh...is the problem you are having that the files are too large, or do you need to know how to post a photo that is already small enough?
  • USA, TX, DFW
"Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running." -anonymous

Offline DevilsLuck

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • N.U.A.H.-Sharp Shooter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 07:50:57 PM »
Well… I just tried the “mail the pic to yourself” hack, again… I’m not sure why… I guess it’s like randomly running into your ex after a couple years, and hit it off again; forgetting why she’s your ex… Needless to say, it didn’t allow me to post the pic, therefore why bother with the thread… Seriously… I know I’m heaping the dust of a horse long dead, and beating it, and lighting it afire, but… It’s 2021… With all the changes we, the board, and the world have gone through… Is there really no way to just post a pic from our phones?
Seriously folks. It’s 2021, and the phones are only going to get better. The files are going to continue to grow in size, and people are going to rely on their phones more than ever to take pics; which is already the number one way people take pics now. By a gargantuan margin…

Siiigh… I give up. Again. It’s just not worth the effort. Rant off…
  • Pell City, AL
Diana 54 /.22
Daisy 853 /.177
Diana 48 B /.22
Crosman Storm XT /.177
Crosman P1377 /.177
Crosman SNR .357 /.177
Benjamin Titan GP /.22
Crosman F4 /.177
Diana 350 .22
Diana 34 /.177
Umarex Fusion /.177
Beeman P17 X 2 /.177

Online lizzie

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 08:05:13 PM »
Well… I just tried the “mail the pic to yourself” hack, again… I’m not sure why… I guess it’s like randomly running into your ex after a couple years, and hit it off again; forgetting why she’s your ex… Needless to say, it didn’t allow me to post the pic, therefore why bother with the thread… Seriously… I know I’m heaping the dust of a horse long dead, and beating it, and lighting it afire, but… It’s 2021… With all the changes we, the board, and the world have gone through… Is there really no way to just post a pic from our phones?
Seriously folks. It’s 2021, and the phones are only going to get better. The files are going to continue to grow in size, and people are going to rely on their phones more than ever to take pics; which is already the number one way people take pics now. By a gargantuan margin…

Did you resize it when you emailed it to yourself? That is the purpose of sensing it to yourself. Texting should do the same automatically.
  • USA, TX, DFW
"Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running." -anonymous

Offline DevilsLuck

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • N.U.A.H.-Sharp Shooter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 08:25:58 PM »

Did you resize it when you emailed it to yourself? That is the purpose of sensing it to yourself. Texting should do the same automatically.
I must not have. Otherwise it would have worked? I don’t know how you’ve had the patience to answer this same question all these years… I mostly read now. Still love airgunning though. But I’ve never had the acumen to earn my Black Belt in GTA photo attachment theory… It just shouldn’t be this difficult to post a pic. And it’s been this way since I joined. It’s not gonna become easier for the forum as tech continues to grow. The gulf is only going to continue to widen. With the prospective audience the only one in motion. I’m sure in the future I’ll have an airgun moment that inspires me to get my 12 point Kata down just so I can post from an ordinary device that’s three years old. But today isn’t that day. I just don’t know how you do it… Patience runs strong in you. And the board, and membership are better for it…
  • Pell City, AL
Diana 54 /.22
Daisy 853 /.177
Diana 48 B /.22
Crosman Storm XT /.177
Crosman P1377 /.177
Crosman SNR .357 /.177
Benjamin Titan GP /.22
Crosman F4 /.177
Diana 350 .22
Diana 34 /.177
Umarex Fusion /.177
Beeman P17 X 2 /.177

Online lizzie

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 08:30:19 PM »

I must not have. Otherwise it would have worked? I don’t know how you’ve had the patience to answer this same question all these years… I mostly read now. Still love airgunning though. But I’ve never had the acumen to earn my Black Belt in GTA photo attachment theory… It just shouldn’t be this difficult to post a pic. And it’s been this way since I joined. It’s not gonna become easier for the forum as tech continues to grow. The gulf is only going to continue to widen. With the prospective audience the only one in motion. I’m sure in the future I’ll have an airgun moment that inspires me to get my 12 point Kata down just so I can post from an ordinary device that’s three years old. But today isn’t that day. I just don’t know how you do it… Patience runs strong in you. And the board, and membership are better for it…

I will pm you on a little while. Maybe we can fix this easier that way.
  • USA, TX, DFW

Online Lt. Dan

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • 1st John 1:9
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 09:38:13 PM »

All I have is my cellphone.  Did you download the Lit Photo app? I have a Samsung S7 and I attach all my photos using either the b]Lit Photo[/b] app or a picture that I texted myself. I'm sorry you're having such difficulty.
  • USA, Mississippi,  Jones County

Offline Xraycer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Black Guns Matter
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2021, 10:56:35 PM »

Pictures sent by email are typically not compressed. So, no, it won't work.

I use my cell phone for taking pictures, surfing the web, hanging out on GTA, and, yes, posting the pictures I've taken on my phone and directly posting it here. So, yes, you can absolutely post pictures directly from your phone onto GTA posts.
  • Southern NH, USA

Online lizzie

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 11:05:24 PM »

I use my cell phone for taking pictures, surfing the web, hanging out on GTA, and, yes, posting the pictures I've taken on my phone and directly posting it here. So, yes, you can absolutely post pictures directly from your phone onto GTA posts.

When I email, my program always gives the option of resizing photos.
  • USA, TX, DFW

Offline Xraycer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Black Guns Matter
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2021, 11:19:53 PM »

When I email, my program always gives the option of resizing photos.
That's not typical. Most email software just defaults to the actual size. There's usually an option to change it, but you would have to manually do it.
  • Southern NH, USA

Online lizzie

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2021, 11:38:47 PM »
Interesting....that is not only on my phones, but my computer as well.
  • USA, TX, DFW