Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: I think I not so good at shooting.  (Read 772 times))

Offline mondomarcus

• Shooter
  • yes
I think I not so good at shooting.
« on: April 23, 2021, 06:12:13 PM »
Recently started shooting my Crosman Nitro Venom again and realized that I can't make consistent groups. I assumed it was the rifle and not me (of course), so I upgraded to the CharlieDaTuna trigger, changed the scope, upgraded the piston seal, changed to brass barrel pivot washers, and replaced the breech seal. I've come to the conclusion that I probably just don't know how to shoot this thing. I'm getting 6-8" groups at 30 yards. I'm mainly shooting RWS Superdome and JSB Exact Diabolo.

At this point I'm considering ditching the gun and buying a Benjamin mutipump since I assume it wont have the wacky recoil pattern of a gas ram/springer. Anybody have any experience with this rifle?  Also, any tips/advice to improve my shooting would be appreciated.
  • Hillsborough, NC

Offline 35 shooter

• Expert
  • yes
Re: I think I not so good at shooting.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 06:35:26 PM »
Springers are generally hold sensitive. Have you tried the artillary hold. I’ve been able to place my thumb and forefinger in the forward stock screw holes with the 2 springers i have( 1 gas ram and 1 springer), or the heel of my thumb and one of my other fingers in the stock screw holes.
Also, have you checked the crown and made sure the stock screws are all tight?

When shooting from a bench I make sure the cener of my front bag lines up with the stock screws in the forearm.
Just some suggestions in case you have’nt tried them.
  • USA, MS, Collins

Offline Roadworthy

• Honorary GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 07:02:13 PM »
Buddy made some good points but I suggest going more basic.  Clean the barrel.  A dry patch or two won't get the factory gunk out of it.  You can use Ballistol or even Hoppe's Number Nine.  The goal is to start with a known clean barrel.  I wouldn't use RWS Super Domes in that gun.  They won't hurt it but there are only a few guns in which they work well.  I like JSB or H&N, but my Nitro Venom was perfectly happy with Crosman Hollow Points.  Just remember, the gun chooses the pellets, you don't.  A consistent hold is essential as is a scope with parallax correction if you want to do your best.  Remember, when you pull the trigger recoil starts the gun moving but the pellet hasn't moved yet.  You sight in the gun by where it will be when the pellet finally leaves the barrel.  That is why a consistent hold is crucial.  Some guns like the artillery hold while others prefer a firm grip.  Use the hand on the forearm to pull the gun into the shoulder.  The trigger hand only controls the trigger which must be pulled straight back the same way every time.  One final thing - cock the gun then sit down and place the butt on the ground and the forearm between your knees.  Attempt to move the barrel side to side.  It should be firm in the gun and have no lateral movement.  Now do some regular practice and in two or three years you may be a crack shot.
  • Near the Southern Coast of Washington State
Real knowledge is knowing the extent of one's ignorance.

Offline RedFeather

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 09:12:27 PM »
Might be the scope. Which are you using? If you know another shooter you might have them test it on another gun.

Online lizzie

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 11:31:24 PM »

At this point I'm considering ditching the gun and buying a Benjamin mutipump since I assume it wont have the wacky recoil pattern of a gas ram/springer. Anybody have any experience with this rifle?  Also, any tips/advice to improve my shooting would be appreciated.

I would give it some more time, and more practice. There is a definite learning curve to shooting springers, and it's frustrating enough that many people just give up on it before mastering it. If you don't like a challenge, and can't deal with the fact that springers aren't essentially just "point and shoot" guns, then I would suggest switching to pumpers or PCP, but if you hang in there with the springers, and eventually become comfortable with shooting them, I think you will be happy that you did. I believe strongly that they make a person a better shooter overall.
  • USA, TX, DFW
"Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running." -anonymous

Offline AirGunner

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 11:37:03 PM »
All of my .177 Crosman nitro pistons like the H&N Field Target Trophy 5.52 head size. A good trigger is almost a must for these guns for accurate shooting. Good luck  and good shooting. Have some fun. It's the best thing to have.
  • Murrells Inlet, SC
Hope is a good thing. The best of things. Maybe, the only thing.

Offline jmoronic

• Trust me, I'm no
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 11:44:10 PM »
It takes time to learn most guns. Every once and a while a gun comes into your life that just hits what you point it at. Never sell that gun!
I have pumpers, springers, co2, they all act differant. I'm more of a pumper guy, but I like them all.

Hang in there learn the gun, If you think it is you, let someone else shoot it. If it does the same thing, look for another issue, loose scope, etc.
  • USA, DE, Newark
Life as I know it, in Dog years

Online mrbulk

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Little things affect little minds” - Thoreau
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 12:19:39 AM »
Hey Marcus if you can swing the slightly extravagant investment, I have just one word:

"Darkside" (or is that two words?)... ;D
  • Las Vegas, NV, USA
Remember that none of this will matter in a hundred years. Have fun now.

Offline jmoronic

• Trust me, I'm no
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 12:26:19 AM »
Ah two words... ;D
Thats is a big jump!
  • USA, DE, Newark
Life as I know it, in Dog years

Offline superchikn

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 12:42:29 AM »
I would pretty much echo Lizzie on this.  When you figure springer shooting out they are a blast to shoot.  A very different shooting experience from pcp, CO2s pumpers etc. and the challenge is refreshing after shooting "boringly accurate"  guns.  Springer shooting i thing is very grounding.  I have several pcps and CO2s  but my D34 ajd crosman summit ranger are always in the rotation, and some days that is all i want to shoot.
  • SE Pa.

Offline mondomarcus

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2021, 01:30:56 AM »
Thanks for the responses everyone. After reading some of the replies tonight I removed the plastic muzzle device to check the crown, tightened up the stock screws with blue locktite, confirmed that the parallax on my scope is ok, and cleaned the barrel with Ballistol. Excited to go back out again tomorrow and try working on my grip/artillery hold with the tips shared. I'm stubborn so I guess its time for practice practice practice haha. Definitely feeling more optimistic after reading the responses. Not switching to the darkside yet!
  • Hillsborough, NC

Offline mondomarcus

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2021, 01:53:33 AM »
All of my .177 Crosman nitro pistons like the H&N Field Target Trophy 5.52 head size. A good trigger is almost a must for these guns for accurate shooting. Good luck  and good shooting. Have some fun. It's the best thing to have.

Any chance you mean 4.52 head size?

This is what I'm looking at: H&N Field Target Trophy, .177 Cal, 4.52mm, 8.64 Grains, Round Nose, 500ct, PY-P-841
  • Hillsborough, NC

Online mpbby

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2021, 02:32:41 AM »
Be careful with .. practice .. if you can't be sure about the scope.

To start.., all scopes on springers need to be within their 'comfort zone' after zeroing; rule of thumb = maximum 1 turn, 60 clicks, from the 'optical center' to each turret.

If you are needing to 'abuse' the adjustments to zero the scope, there is some extra work before going to .. practice.

https://life.hawkeoptics.com/riflescope-alignment/

I use the (easier) mirror method to center the scope and count the clicks when zeroing.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 02:39:21 AM by mpbby »
  • São Paulo/Brazil

Offline Tater

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Insert creative saying here
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2021, 03:19:24 AM »
Thanks for the responses everyone. After reading some of the replies tonight I removed the plastic muzzle device to check the crown, tightened up the stock screws with blue locktite, confirmed that the parallax on my scope is ok, and cleaned the barrel with Ballistol. Excited to go back out again tomorrow and try working on my grip/artillery hold with the tips shared. I'm stubborn so I guess its time for practice practice practice haha. Definitely feeling more optimistic after reading the responses. Not switching to the darkside yet!

Great going Marcus! You did several things there, all good.
Keep in mind that it might take up to several hundred shots to season the barrel after a cleaning so be patient and try as many different pellets as you can after it's broken in.
Also, stubbornness is a good trait to have when learning about springers.

Persistence is key, and it's a great felling when it all comes together. 
  • NW suburbs of Chicago
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .177, DonnyFL Sumo ldc
.22 Disco/Maximus mix, Rocker1 ldc
Gamo Hornet .177
1377, steel breech, TKO, 12" barrel, R. Arms Innovations AR stock

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Start the day with the GTA!
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2021, 08:12:23 AM »
Above all, do not get frustrated!
 I started with a Crosman Genesis NP and was also too stubborn to give up (Ha Ha). A lot of new airgunners give up too soon and leave with a bad taste in their mouth.
You are on the right path and have already gotten good advice. (practice, practice, practice)
 A Springer will do the same thing every time. You have to as well.
Use the lightest hold possible, don't hold it like a Powder Burner... I don't wrap my thumb around the grip most of the time.
 Also, I find most like the front rest about at the balance point, maybe an inch or so forward.

Might try moving your target closer in the beginning then gradually increase you yardage. It is more satisfying to put pellets in the black at 10M then all over the paper at 30. Once you two get to know each other THEN you can start reaching further out. ;)
Psalm 27

JimQwerty123 always said ...
"Shoot safe and have fun,"

Offline KevinJBrown

• GTA Moderator
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2021, 11:33:39 AM »
Something I might add is whatever you decide is one thing to add to accuracy is going to be repeatability. You want to do everything the same way (exactly) to the best of your ability each time. Slow down; learn how to do it right; practice it; think your way through it. Don't get anxious. Don't worry about results for a while. Concentrate on the process. Throw your targets away without even looking at your groups until you are sure you are doing everything right.
  • USA, Mahomet, IL
Benjamin Marauder .22
Diana Trailscout .22
6 - Daisy Avanti 499b Champion .177 BB Guns

NUAH Club - Sharpshooter

Offline Mole2017

• Squirrel Researcher
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2021, 12:10:32 PM »
If you are new at springers, 30 yards is quite a ways. It was a while before I trusted myself to snuff a squirrel at that range. I started out at 15 or 20 yards to sort out what pellet I should be shooting--and yes, I had some that did 4 inch groups at 20 yards! Be sure to test plenty of pellets, starting with the ones people giving reviews say it likes.

Standing, my CFX liked a hand near about the pivot. I cradled it with a couple fingers (and while gripping my shooting stick). But rested it liked being balanced on a bag or on my palm. I found that any torque applied to the rested rifle to aim would mess up a shot, so I would set it on a the bag, take my hands off and verify I was on target or not. If not, I lifted the rifle and tried to set it back into the bag slightly differently to correct the direction bias. If really bad, I'd fluff the bean bag and settle the rifle again.

Of course, watch the grip when pulling the trigger.

• Pendleton, SC
Gamo CFX .177 and .22, old style triggers
BSA R10 MK2 .177
Crosman 1377

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Start the day with the GTA!
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2021, 05:38:56 PM »
B.R.A.S.S.
Google it.  ;)
Psalm 27

JimQwerty123 always said ...
"Shoot safe and have fun,"

Offline Back_Roads

• I Got A 10 Pump BB Gun :) BB Guns Got Much More Complicated :)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 1st Edition Crosman 760 Pump Master
    • Back_Roads Airgunning
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2021, 11:35:03 AM »
 I ran across some 10m targets I shot with my Black Ops Sniper, while breaking it in, and finding the right pellets, some of the targets look like a shotgun pattern vs, the pinpoint accuracy the gun has now after 1000's of shots.
  • Wisconsin Collins ;Hunters Paradise; Theres a Sign in town to prove it :)
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3hMPAjvTtuu7DoNzBZzuKQ?view_as=subscriber
 Below is a collection of helpful airgun videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLASJo4rBxMImx-kNnbppkIBV86G5Yentf

Offline mondomarcus

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2021, 08:45:56 PM »
Just wanted to follow up with an update. I have attached my most recent 5 shot group at 30 yards. Obviously not all that impressive, but much much improved compared to the 8 inch groups I was getting before. Thanks for all of the tips/advice everyone shared.

• Hillsborough, NC