Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Daisy 35 vs Crosman 760  (Read 1391 times))

Offline Ronno6

• Expert
  • yes
Re: Daisy 35 vs Crosman 760
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2021, 08:42:26 PM »
You would think with all of the 880's, and all of the other Daisy models like it, somup to the receiver.eone would have come up with an aftermarket wood stock set. Every forum, blog, ETC, that you go to, the comments are the same. Sure would like wood furniture for my Daisy 880. With that being said, I have reached out to wood workers about the issue. It seems to come down to the intricate detail in the way the butt stock meets up with the receiver. So I was thinking why not just make a metal adapter to fit in the recever, and just mount the stock to the metal bracket. Seems simple, maybe I will start working on a bracket adapter for the 880.

The buttstock mating to the receiver is only complicated if you try to recreate the plastic stock.
The 822's with wood stocks use a thru bolt from buttplate to tang, and a flat plate inside the receiver to bolt to.
I am gonna learn how to bore such a hole..... i need that for Crosman 2200/2100/766 as well.
I have the forearms figured out, leaving the buttstock.
Once I get the hole boring under control, the rest will be pretty straightforward (other than the high price of suitable wood.)
  • United States of America,Stone County, Mississippi
You can lead a man to water, but you can't keep him from urinating in it.

Offline Garandsx5

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2021, 08:56:33 AM »
Deep hole boring can get interesting. Without investing in commercial quality machines, you might want to explore a two piece glue up for the butt stock. You can simply rout two stepped grooves (one in each piece), then glue together and shape the stock to size.
  • Mt. Blanchard Ohio

Offline Ronno6

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2021, 10:29:29 AM »
That has been considered, and I may have to resort to that.
The critical small diameter hole really only needs to run true for about 4-1/2" or so,
but the larger hole for bolt head clearance needs to be concentric within reason.
I have seen an interesting video in which the woodsmith  drills a starter hole of proper diameter,
then uses a long bit with the tip reshaped to eliminate the center point and bore with the edges...
Then, using a moveable guide to keep the bit level, the hole stays true as there is no center point to induce wander.
I'll be giving it a go when I get to it..........

Offline jmoronic

• Trust me, I'm no
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2021, 01:35:32 PM »
Thank you for thinking of ways to make this happen. I would love to be on the list if it all works out.
  • USA, DE, Newark
Life as I know it, in Dog years

Offline Garandsx5

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2021, 10:20:34 AM »
Ronno-

For drilling, I would probably start with a spade bit. The Irwin Speedbor line would be my pick. A 1/4x6 drilled from both ends. They have 16 long bits available also to extend/enlarge the holes.  I think a drilling fixture should be easily fabbed up to guide the bits.

I have several of the wood stock guns. Daisy used some very soft wood- maple or birch (maybe, but very soft)- easily machined. It would make for easy straight drilling.
  • Mt. Blanchard Ohio

Offline Ronno6

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2021, 12:06:50 PM »
Any bit with a point will want to follow the grain, and the smaller diameter, the more that will happen.
Bolts for these stocks are 5/16-18, so a 3/8" minor diameter is the ticket.

Offline lillysdad621

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2021, 04:40:33 PM »
stonykill made some wood furniture for his 880s... i wonder if he would make more for sale to the rest of us mortals...
  • Georgia

Offline McNally M.

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2021, 02:36:04 AM »
stonykill made some wood furniture for his 880s... i wonder if he would make more for sale to the rest of us mortals...

That is some valuable information... Wood furniture would up the aesthetic factor 100%. But then there's that plastic receivers still, boo
  • USA, CA,  Laguna Hills
"Aim small, miss small."

Offline Ronno6

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2021, 08:33:38 AM »

That is some valuable information... Wood furniture would up the aesthetic factor 100%. But then there's that plastic receivers still, boo

I wouldn't recommend the thru-bolt mounting method for plastic receivers..........
There are plenty of metal 880's around.

Offline jmoronic

• Trust me, I'm no
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2021, 01:32:49 PM »

I wouldn't recommend the thru-bolt mounting method for plastic receivers..........
There are plenty of metal 880's around.

I agree, it is still pretty easy to find a metal 880. I picked up 2 880's and a 922 in 2020 all metal receivers.
  • USA, DE, Newark
Life as I know it, in Dog years