GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

Keeping busy with the Grackles

(1/2) > >>

only1harry:
The Grackles have become a lot more challenging and are starting to learn my strategies, different methods and approach I use to get a shot at them without being spotted.  But that's ok, I like a challenge, hehe.

Yesterday I got 5 Grackles.  2 of them were off-hand shots at around 21 and 24yds.  These 2 were sitting in the trees watching the cat food in the backyard and waiting for someone else to make their move first.  Not surprisingly it didn't take them long to discover that the cat food bowl is dangerous.  3 others not so smart flew in quietly to steal the cat food and met the same fate from the RWS 850 .22 using 14.3gr CPHP's.

Last night a possum also visited early around 9:15 pm to finish off the cat food after he ate one of the Grackles.  I can't wait until the regular season in the Fall so I can start shooting some fur, now that I have run out of Groundhogs.

dk1677:
Great shooting Harry! Keep getting those nasty devils!

shadow:
Great shooting and pic's Harry..kill em all. ;D Ed

only1harry:
Thanks Ed and Dave. 
They have learned to stay away from that food bowl now.  Not one came yesterday and today.  The Grackle's learning curve was very quick.  It took the Starlings about a month to finally stay away from the bait last winter.  It only took the Grackles 1 week, but it's summer and I 'm sure they can find food elsewhere.  The Starlings were starving over the winter but were still extremely cautious and jumpy.  After about 10 days, they adapted by flying in very quickly, grab a piece and take off, spending only 1-3secs on the ground, making it hard to get a shot off.  I adapted too by taking quick shots without delay as soon as they landed and I had them in the crosshairs.  It was very interesting watching the Starlings try different things.  They eventually ended up doing fly-by's to try to grab a piece of cat food making it impossible to take a shot, but they were not very good at it, and most times they got nothing.  I can see why they have spread throughout the country in such high numbers. They learn and adapt very quickly.

454 Big Block Chevy:
harry, i love the hole in the right side of one of those pictures (in the bowl) i'm guessing you overpenetrated something?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version