GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

New invader brought her young

<< < (4/4)

ranchibi:

--- Quote from: only1harry on May 29, 2022, 12:58:03 PM ---Thanks guys.  I saw 1 of the little ones on the neighbor's lawn across the street.  It will come back this way before the summer is over.  I just have to be patient and keep checking my property and the burrow entrances for the signs.

I must say this was not a very good mother G-hog.  Usually they bring between 3 and 6 young with them and most of the time it's 4 or 5.  She must have lost a few to only bring 2, and 1 of them was hurt since it was limping, and I have not seen that one since.  Or it could be the red fox I spotted about a month ago has been digging up their burrows and going after them.  Who knows. 
Sometimes if there are too many male G-hogs around and less females, they and their young end up getting hurt from persistent males who have not had a chance to mate.  I have witnessed several fights between male and female G-hogs and it's not pretty.  I have seen a male G-hog grab a young in his mouth and toss it 6-7 feet away before the mother G-hog broadsided him and bit him, but he was eventually beating the &^^& out of her because he was much bigger.  I ran out and chased him away, only because my wife was getting distraught watching it from the window.  Scientists should have used my backyard 10-20 years ago to study G-hog behavior  :)

--- End quote ---

LOL Harry! Going from imbedding them with lead to rushing out to protect mother ghog and her brood!  LOL....what we'll do to satisfy She Whom We Must Obey.....LOL! Have a great Labor Day Weekend!

only1harry:
That was pre-2001 Randall, before I started shooting them.  My wife would not permit it.  Not until my then 6yr old son sprained his ankle running into a new burrow in the middle of the front lawn and landed on his face too.  It was game on then, and it's still going on now :) 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version