GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

First blood for the Cayden and some rodent pesting questions

(1/3) > >>

ER00z:
Earlier today the Cayden claimed it's first, a male HOSP at ~25 yards. I was out tending to a few odds and ends around the property when I noticed the pair of barn swallows were in a fuss, again. There was that HOSP trying to push the Swallows from their house, so I went into the house, loaded a mag of 18gr JSB's and went out to see how things were going to turn out. The hosp made the mistake of landing on top of the old antenna on the shed with a clear shot (including far, far behind) and I gave him a JSB pill at full power.

I believe this is the first time those Swallows weren't very happy with me, Lol. That pellet hit with a hard smack and spooked them, the gun is near silent thanks to Donnyfl but with 30+fpe at the muzzle, pellet strike is not. Hosp eradication is not my (only) intent for this gun, but it happend to be handy. No photos, as the cat was all too happy to collect a fresh meal...  :D

As for those who eliminate rodents (rats, mice, etc.) how long do you leave bait stations in place before you thin them out?

I just put out a baiting station but need a ding-donger and want to add a trail cam to see what kind of activity there is (beats camping out watching, Lol). Running a red flood light and an illuminated scope for now. I'd love to get a thermal scope, but probably not until next year or the year after (saving up my pennies now). I've got a ton of field mice and moles, which the cat helps thin out. He probably gets about ten to fifteen a week, but from neighboring properties also. I know there are rats "in the area", but not sure if I or the neighbours have any on the property/properties. It seems I've got about every other kind of critter though, but only targeting rodents (or Hosp's) at this time...

customcutter:
I don't see any need to wait a few nights for the rats, mice, or voles to get used to the station.  I would take them as they show up, before another critter takes them for you.  Paul had a hawk take a rat before he was ready to shoot with AJP wat whacker! ;D

ER00z:
Well, I seen my first rodent taker at the baiting station... And missed ::)

The past couple days all I've had were birds visiting the bait station. Last evening I put a tile down next to the log and put some (cracked) corn and bird seed just to see if anything was going to show. Nothing that I've seen, aside from various birds, Until about 6pm tonight. Either a very large mouse (I think) or possibly a very small rat showed up and I was instantly kicking myself for not putting down "sticky bait". The critter was sneaking behind the log, grabbing a nibble then hiding behind the log (then repeat). I grabbed my .177 Maximus, loaded a Win. H.P. and took a shot that went about 1/4" (...1/2"?)  above it's head into the target "leg" behind.

Mikey (the cat) heard the impact and wondered over to investigate, so between the miss and the cat, I'm not sure I'll be seeing Mr rodent any time soon this evening...

Here's a couple day photos of the station, one from the back room and a close up.

customcutter:
Yes, definitely a learning process. ;D  I was using table scraps, and they would pick up a piece and wander off with it then come back a little later for another piece.  I finally put some hardware cloth over the bait.  I was baiting raccoons and opossums, not sure what I would try with rats/mice to slow them down.

ER00z:

--- Quote from: customcutter on May 24, 2022, 08:40:14 PM ---Yes, definitely a learning process. ;D  I was using table scraps, and they would pick up a piece and wander off with it then come back a little later for another piece.  I finally put some hardware cloth over the bait.  I was baiting raccoons and opossums, not sure what I would try with rats/mice to slow them down.

--- End quote ---

Lol, I have no idea what to use. I'll have to make a sticky bait/bait sauce up. But I do know I have a huge handicap vs the nearly 13 year old small game hunting cat.
I took my little one out to play, and Mikey brought a live present to us, another field mouse from the side yard. Well, it was alive...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version