Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: Amputated My Fingertip(GRAPHIC PICTURE BEWARE)  (Read 877 times))

Offline Rob M

• GTA Senior Contributor
Re: Amputated My Fingertip(GRAPHIC PICTURE BEWARE)
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2022, 11:22:01 PM »
Wow. Well, at least it's the lefty.
So asking for a friend who doesn't hold the barrel when loading... Said friend is super paranoid about sticking a finger in the transfer port area. But he thinks it's pretty safe to simply load a pellet in a break barrel, even if the sear were to let go?

Ask your friend if hed want his child to learn to load a break barrel like he does. Would he want to see his child lose a finger?

On a related note, it boggles my mind that we dont see precautions written into the owners manuals on spring guns about this problem.

Im waiting on lawsuits and more warning labels.

yea, other items sold online generally have warnings for appendage loss.
  • Louisiana

Offline gloob

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2022, 01:21:57 AM »
It's probably in the instruction manual, somewhere.

example from the first one I picked up: "Do not fire with the barrel cracked open. This may result in injury, bent barrel and/or cracked stock, and will void your warranty."

Somewhere on the gun will be some precaution to read the manual before operating, and that death or injury can result from improper use.

But now I'm curious what other things are people buying online that come with warnings about appendage loss. Are we talking about table saws?

There are thousands of police officers and other people legally carrying a concealed firearm. And at some point, while standing in line at a grocery store, it's pointing at someone else's foot. If it's a horizontal shoulder holster, it's probably occasionally sweeping someone else's head or heart. Let's not get crazy about the danger of a break barrel airgun's ability to amputate a digit if it is defective (or misused).

I've had a range officer tell me I shouldn't cock a Glock by pinching the slide right at the muzzle end. If I can't trust the gun to not fire while I'm controlling it (combined with poor enough coordination to actually put my finger over the muzzle), then I should not have a Glock. And possibly no one else should, either, if it is likely to fire itself.

That's a pretty good analogy, I think. Loading a breakbarrel is like charging a pistol near the muzzle end. As long as you don't actually sweep your finger (put it where it will get caught), you're close but still ok. I'm extra careful to overcock my springers, ever since I had a couple shots go off when letting off the safety on my latest acquisition. A crunchy pivot that needs oil might stick/stop right as the sear just starts to catch! But I feel safe as long as I mind my fingers.

OP is a hero to post this pic. It's a great reminder to people who tinker with their guns. But shooting it normally, I don't consider a breakbarrel all that dangerous.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 02:20:49 AM by gloob »
  •  AZ, Phoenix

Offline Howdy9

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2022, 11:00:27 PM »
Ooouuch. I had know idea that could happen. I'd be really embarrassed if that happened to me. I work in a machine shop and everything wants to eat you. Thanks for sharing that. I'm going to get a break barrel soon so that's good info for me. Hold barrel with non loading hand, got it.
  • USA, CA,  Redlands

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2022, 01:32:35 PM »
I had the same thing happen years ago while loading and old springer that was supposed to have an anti-beartrap safety that released as I was transitioning hand position to close the barrel after loading. That sucker came up and took about 3/8" of my left index finger tip CLEAN OFF.  I feel your pain.  Every since I make sure that my non-loading hand is well clear of the breech and treat it like going up/down a ladder where you always want 3 points of contact. Always continuous contact with both hands until the barrel is closed
  • Erie, PA, USA

Offline pelletpusher22

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2022, 05:43:40 PM »
Man, bet that started throbbing a little while later!   :-\
  • USA, IN,  Fort Wayne
I'm old, but I'll hold.