GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > Target Shooting Discussion Gate

So I got a new BSA Goldstar in .22, is a .22 not suitable for target shooting?

(1/2) > >>

PG in San Diego:
Target shooting Newby here. Bear with me, its kinda a whiny post and a couple of questions.

So I got this killer deal this Christmas on a like new BSA Goldstar (Under $500) because it had a jammed magazine and leaked. Come to find out it was just the mag release not disengaged. The mag just came out. Anyways, its a gorgous rifle. I was so excited to finally get a Goldstar that is normally way outside my price range. I had these dreams to start going to shooting matches with it only to find out that everyone recommends a .177, not the .22 version I had. What a bummer. So a couple of questions...

Why is a .22 less suitable for target shooting than a .177?

Why do companies offer a .22 if its not competative for any target matches?

Where can I buy a .177 barrel and probe, or anybody have a .177 Goldstar action to swap, Id throw in $$$

Thanks for letting me rant and taking the time to explain it all to me...

Philip

WildCJ5:
Just sell it to me. You already owe me money. 🤪

Motorhead:
Target shooting ... Well
Larger the diameter of projectile, easier does a hole in paper break a line either to advantage or disadvantage.  On metal , say field target the larger diameter with strike on the edge of the KZ creating a split easier than a smaller diameter.

Also there are in Air Gun target shooting LIMITS on FPE ( Foot Pounds Energy ) in certain classes, which ... as caliber increases so does the pellets weight. heavier a pellet SLOWER it must be shot to stay within the power limitations.

You certainly can shoot a .22 or a .20 in a class where .177 has the most advantage, just learn the accepted limitations and scoring cost of doing so.

PG in San Diego:

--- Quote from: WildCJ5 on January 12, 2022, 10:42:46 PM ---Just sell it to me. You already owe me money. 🤪

--- End quote ---

The money I owe you is in the mail. I just cant remember if I put a stamp on it.   ;D

PG in San Diego:

--- Quote from: Motorhead on January 12, 2022, 11:27:42 PM ---Target shooting ... Well
Larger the diameter of projectile, easier does a hole in paper break a line either to advantage or disadvantage.  On metal , say field target the larger diameter with strike on the edge of the KZ creating a split easier than a smaller diameter.

Also there are in Air Gun target shooting LIMITS on FPE ( Foot Pounds Energy ) in certain classes, which ... as caliber increases so does the pellets weight. heavier a pellet SLOWER it must be shot to stay within the power limitations.

You certainly can shoot a .22 or a .20 in a class where .177 has the most advantage, just learn the accepted limitations and scoring cost of doing so.

--- End quote ---

Thank you, Scott. It never occurred to me that there was that much difference in a .177 and .22, which tells me that there is more to target shooting than focusing on the AO and taking the shot. I see there are some resources at the top of the page, .........I have lots to learn.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version