GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Air Archery

DIY Arrows for the Sam Yang 909s

(1/4) > >>

Pellethuntr:
Rather than clutter up other peoples threads with my own information I will start my own.

The end goal of this project is to be able to make an accurate and reasonably priced air bolt right here in the shop and possibly offer DIY kits in the future. I know a lot of guys like me can't afford to spend $15+ on an arrow that's more of a novelty than a big game hunting option (not legal to hunt big game with in my state yet).

Full transparency, by DIY I mean a full machine shop and multiple 3D printers. I am sorry if you were hoping for a hardware store parts build but maybe in the future.

In my mind the most important part of the whole arrow in this instance is the nock. I am going to test an "insert" style nock first as that is what I'm used to coming from the archery world. I will probably test some "outsert" style nock in the near future like the AV air bolts use.

This is what I came up with in CAD. It uses a 7/16x1/4 o-ring slightly stretched over the nock to create a good seal in my .456" diameter barrel.

Spacebus:
I hope they work, I've been looking for an affordable option for my .45 Challenger since before I ordered it.

Pellethuntr:
I chucked up some aluminum round stock I had and turned this nose "cone" that slides over the shaft and is held in place by whatever tip you thread into the shaft. A 22" shaft with a 100 grain screw in head has a total weight of 480 grains.

Pellethuntr:
I only had enough aluminum left to make one nose cone (I will order more asap). I did take one shot at 20 yards, flight seemed stable and FAST and I hit within 2" of where my gun is zeroed with slugs. This shows a lot of promise BUT I will need to address the target situation asap. I shot through a cardboard target and 48"+ into my frozen sand berm. I had to do quite a bit of digging with a shovel to find the arrow.  8)

Spacebus:

--- Quote from: Pellethuntr on January 03, 2022, 05:23:25 PM ---I only had enough aluminum left to make one nose cone (I will order more asap). I did take one shot at 20 yards, flight seemed stable and FAST and I hit within 2" of where my gun is zeroed with slugs. This shows a lot of promise BUT I will need to address the target situation asap. I shot through a cardboard target and 48"+ into my frozen sand berm. I had to do quite a bit of digging with a shovel to find the arrow.  8)

--- End quote ---

The "centering cone" was my next question, because I have no idea where to find those. I can't imagine how much power is generated using an air bolt with a 500+ FPE rifle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version