GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

my tupperware and concrete CNC milling machine ( build

(1/9) > >>

Rob M:
well its no where near done , but doesnt look as stupid as it did 3 weeks ago..( its still literally a bucket of concrete )
These are likely the last pictures before the enclosure and flood coolant , and then I wont be able to see much since im not making a 1000 dollar all clear poly enclosure.(prob  something cheap )
 The amount to discuss is mind numbing.. The basic premise was build something as solid as a medium benchtop mill for cheap , then mount all 20mm linear rails and let the rest fall into place.. I always wanted to do this , But it took a lucky day driving to pick up my daughter when a man had thrown out about 200 lbs of scrap steel.. ( angle , box , plate steel , etc etc ) i got all of it , and that sparked the beginning..HERES an older pic
20210426_100934 by murphyrobert9, on Flickr

pouring concrete stinks and i dreaded every minute of it.. the tupperware thing was 22 dollars at walmart .. Tractor supply delivers concrete really cheap.. , With filling the column and the spacers out to the z , i used 300 lbs even..

20210501_104215 by murphyrobert9, on Flickr

Call it hemi orange , for non car people its safety orange.. In reality , i like the syil VMC's but cannot afford one

20210501_143118 by murphyrobert9, on Flickr

20210501_103848 by murphyrobert9, on Flickr

Overall , i dont know how many hrs invested , it doesnt look great but runs like a dream for the few test cuts ive done. I probably need another 20-30 hrs to set up the flood drainage , enclosure , more tramming , and i forget what else.. I did reuse the controller , drivers, and one of the steppers from the old router. id say no particular skills are required to make a small rigid cnc mill, just be decent with a calipers and understand parallelism. .. But the more tools you have going in the better,. Having a horizontal bandsaw helped the most..Transfer punches would have been nice but i decided to locate every hole by scribing , probably lost 6 hrs doing that all for a matter of 50 bux... A set of parallels is a smart tool to have also when starting . .. heres a simply cut i did to verify my axis step -per calibration.. I didnt even face the part i was too excitied to press " cycle start " The stainless chip gaurd in the one pic has a brother, they also need to be installed to keep everything off the x ballscrew.

20210501_144351 by murphyrobert9, on Flickr

sorry i dont have a cool pic , this is the only gcode i ran so far..

Rob M:
another test cut  on the same scrap block
20210501_212634 by murphyrobert9, on Flickr

once i get the flood installed , and better trammed , i should be good.

Firewalker:
"Vert De Ferk?"

OTmachine:
Good build!

BigBird:
Congratulations!  You had suggested this before and Im not even sure I took you serious.  Probably because i was thinking of my skill set.  Sorry!  However I'd not be able to do it without seeing it first.  Great work!  Any time you can exchange a little diy time/work for results like this without the cost is amazing.  Are you going to be taking orders for CNC work now?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version