Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: My version of Air Archery  (Read 4244 times))

Nomadic Pirate

My version of Air Archery
« on: January 31, 2020, 08:22:08 PM »
An arrow with a good broadheard is absolutely devastating, the ability to deliver an arrow with pintpoint precision is huge most of all in thick vegetation conditions where you are able to thread the needle through trees and saplings.

I got my 2 REX .357 set up to shoot the Air Bolt, to my complete surprise the POI within 20 yards is the same with the Bolts as it is with the JSB pellets and that is huge,...also I'm not interested in an Arrow launcher that it's solely and arrow launcher, I want the ability to shoot both arrows and lead.

Here is my 2 Arrow guns

the Mini-Carbine

Easily backpackable

Shooting a 349gr arrow at a staggering 475 fps

the rifle is shooting a 389gr arrow at 505 fps

I'm extremely happy with my arrow guns, very light, short, balanced, manuvrable and crazy powerful

and most of all if ever needed I can load a .357 JSB pellet in seconds after I've shot an arrow.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 08:25:55 PM by Nomadic Pirate »

Offline Blowpipe Sam

• An ignorant doofus with no business being called a
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Luddite and 21st century hunter gatherer
Re: My version of Air Archery
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 08:29:45 PM »
That is extremely impressive.  Looks like it would be a freakin death ray on piggies.  Have you considered shooting blunts for smaller game with them?  Do you shoot smaller game?
  • Fire base Bert.  The last outpost on the Sopchoppy river.  Florida
My Battery
Hatsan Striker  .25
Hatsan Mod 125  .25
Hatsan Mod 125  .22
Hatsan Mod  95.  .22
Ruger Impact Max .22
FDAR Xisico XS60c .22 
Crosman 1400 .22.  3rd model
Crosman 1400 .22.  2nd model
Crosman 1400 .22.  1st. Model
Crosman 2240XL 14.5Ē Carbine .22
Crosman 2100 .177
Crosman 1377 .177
Industry B-3 .177

Nomadic Pirate

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 08:49:08 PM »
That is extremely impressive.  Looks like it would be a freakin death ray on piggies.  Have you considered shooting blunts for smaller game with them?  Do you shoot smaller game?

That would be nuts :) :) the Mini-Carbine shoots them bolts at 175 FPE, the rifle 220 FPE,   

There is almost absolute certanty that it would blow through a small critter and the bolt would shatter against what ever it's behind, even shooting at a Porker there's a good chance of destroying the bolt or at least the broadhead.
Shooting a blunt tipped arrow also is the same thing as shooting a pellet at a small critter, no real advantage :) :)

Offline oldpro

• GTA
  • Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 08:49:13 PM »
 Dam Manny thats really impressive
  • Katy, Texas
Raptor mini 2 in .25
Huben k1 .22
Diana 56
FX tarantula
Walther R8
LCS SK-19
Airacudas

Nomadic Pirate

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 08:56:26 PM »

Travis, maybe you can explain this, it makes no sense to me:

the Mini Carbine is a 90-95 FPE gun wiith the JSB and gets about 6-8 shots per fill,...with the bolts becomes 175 FPE and gets 3 shots,.....I don't understand how that works.

Rifle the same, gone from 150 FPE to 220 FPE and reduced the shots on tap Dramatically

HOW DOES THAT WORK ?!?!?!?!?! :) :) LOL:)

Offline Lastdog

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 09:11:50 PM »
Did you make the bolts your self? If so can you let us want to be arrow launchers how?
  • Dade City, FL, USA
Sumatra 25 carbine
Dar 25
Air Force Condor 30
Career Dragon Slayer 50
Career 707 ll 22 carbine
Freedom 22
Liberty 22 wood & syn
Ace precision 500max 22
B&S sliver streak 20
Diana Storm reg 177
Walmart f4 177

Offline oldpro

• GTA
  • Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 10:06:28 PM »

the Mini Carbine is a 90-95 FPE gun wiith the JSB and gets about 6-8 shots per fill,...with the bolts becomes 175 FPE and gets 3 shots,.....I don't understand how that works.

Rifle the same, gone from 150 FPE to 220 FPE and reduced the shots on tap Dramatically

It has to do with two major factors one is weight of the projectile. With the extra weight of the projectile the FPE almost always goes up due to using the expanding air more efficiently as a larger heavier projectile is in the bore longer now whats cool about arrow shooters is they increase the length of the barrel because as they rise above the crown they are still sealed to the barrel thus creating more area for the expanding air!!! How cool is that!!! So the arrow is heavier and creates and area for the expanding air to use as its rising and accelerating above the crown.
  • Katy, Texas
Raptor mini 2 in .25
Huben k1 .22
Diana 56
FX tarantula
Walther R8
LCS SK-19
Airacudas

Nomadic Pirate

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 04:32:32 AM »
Did you make the bolts your self? If so can you let us want to be arrow launchers how?

Those are the Air Bolts Pyramyd sells,...I just cut them to length to fit the barrels.

Nomadic Pirate

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 04:33:30 AM »

It has to do with two major factors one is weight of the projectile. With the extra weight of the projectile the FPE almost always goes up due to using the expanding air more efficiently as a larger heavier projectile is in the bore longer now whats cool about arrow shooters is they increase the length of the barrel because as they rise above the crown they are still sealed to the barrel thus creating more area for the expanding air!!! How cool is that!!! So the arrow is heavier and creates and area for the expanding air to use as its rising and accelerating above the crown.

But Travis,

This bolts ride inside the barrel like a normal Pellet/Bullet.

Offline oldpro

• GTA
  • Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 05:55:03 AM »
 Are the bolts hollow and unplugged on the end going into the barrel?
  • Katy, Texas
Raptor mini 2 in .25
Huben k1 .22
Diana 56
FX tarantula
Walther R8
LCS SK-19
Airacudas

Offline jhm757

• Sharp Shooter
  • .25 SynRod
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2020, 09:55:00 AM »
I would love to see some videos of accuracy out to 40yds with broadheads.
  • Rome NY
Gotta love a target rich environment!!!

.25 SynRod
Daisy Powerline 880s

N.U.A.H. Club Member - Expert!

Nomadic Pirate

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 12:50:12 PM »

nope, there's a bullet shaped nock at the back, so it's like shooting a long, heavy bullet  :)

Offline Long_Gun_Dallas

• Forever fiddling
  • Sharp Shooter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 12:57:32 PM »
Love how compact the carbine is when broken down!  I'm sure both have/will put a lot of meat on the table 😎
Brocock Grand Prix/Contour S6 hybrid .22
Crosman 1322 PCP 7.6" Whitefang 27 FPE
Crosman 1322 14.5" LW 15 FPE
Diana Bandit .177 50 shots @ 650fps
FX Crown .22 500mm 50 fpe
Hatsan Nova Star 14.25" LW .22
HW 50S .22 Motorhead
SPA PP800 .25 9" 30 FPE

Nomadic Pirate

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 01:17:32 PM »
Love how compact the carbine is when broken down!  I'm sure both have/will put a lot of meat on the table 😎

Yeah, for my hunting grounds this is as good as it gets for Hog hunting.

Monday I was bowhunting, it was most likely, actually, for sure the day when I was in contact with the most amount of pigs in my hunting career here on the Island

I was in contact with at least 20 if not 25 porkers, some at sub 10 yards but never was able to take a shot either because with a bow I would never be able to thread an arrow past all the trees and saplings or because the drawing movement so close to the quarry just gave me away.

If I was carrying one of my REX arrow launchers I could have made several shots because I would have overcome those 2 obstacles, one with the capability of threading the bolt with precision, the other because once I got myself in position and waited for the shot I wouldn't have to move again at the time of taking it.

Yes my Arrow launchers are as good as it gets for my type of hunting.

Offline oldpro

• GTA
  • Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2020, 01:18:01 PM »

nope, there's a bullet shaped nock at the back, so it's like shooting a long, heavy bullet  :)
Then itís all about the weight of the arrow and how slow it moves up the bore compared to a bullet. Your holding back a room full of air in the reservoir and it wants to expand so when you let it out how long it takes the object to get to the end of the bore is measured in time aka milliseconds timing. The longer a object is in the bore the more time the air has time to expand and make energy thatís why longer barrels make more power and heavier ammo makes more power.
  • Katy, Texas
Raptor mini 2 in .25
Huben k1 .22
Diana 56
FX tarantula
Walther R8
LCS SK-19
Airacudas

Nomadic Pirate

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2020, 01:22:10 PM »

Then itís all about the weight of the arrow and how slow it moves up the bore compared to a bullet. Your holding back a room full of air in the reservoir and it wants to expand so when you let it out how long it takes the object to get to the end of the bore is measured in time aka milliseconds timing. The longer a object is in the bore the more time the air has time to expand and make energy thatís why longer barrels make more power and heavier ammo makes more power.

I was also thinking, maybe because of the inline valve to bore design the heavy Bolt made the valve stay open longer, and that would also explain the dramatically reduced shot count.

Am I way off on this one ?

Offline oldpro

• GTA
  • Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2020, 01:27:58 PM »

I was also thinking, maybe because of the inline valve to bore design the heavy Bolt made the valve stay open longer, and that would also explain the dramatically reduced shot count.

That wonít effect the valve itís only factors are the weight and speed of the hammer opening the valve. The heavier slower arrow is simply using the air supplied better.
  • Katy, Texas
Raptor mini 2 in .25
Huben k1 .22
Diana 56
FX tarantula
Walther R8
LCS SK-19
Airacudas

Offline Long_Gun_Dallas

• Forever fiddling
  • Sharp Shooter
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2020, 01:32:45 PM »

I think you would have to be right.  Pressure differential would have a much slower tapering off.  From high to low on exhaust side of the valve.  Meaning there would be more resistance for a longer period of time to it actually closing.
HW 50S .22 Motorhead
SPA PP800 .25 9" 30 FPE

Nomadic Pirate

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2020, 01:35:24 PM »

That wonít effect the valve itís only factors are the weight and speed of the hammer opening the valve. The heavier slower arrow is simply using the air supplied better.

So, Travis why is my shot count basically cut in Half ?

Offline Long_Gun_Dallas

• Forever fiddling
  • Sharp Shooter
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2020, 01:42:52 PM »
Are the bolts hollow at all?