Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: Night Squirrel Hunting?  (Read 2656 times - 1 votes) 
)

Offline shadow

• Shadow...ole critter getter
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Night Squirrel Hunting?
« on: October 02, 2018, 04:14:30 PM »
We've had some steady rain for the last several days and nights but still made a point to get out during the day in hopes of bagging my first Squirrel of the season and the Squirrels are out there just not giving me any solid shots as they move around like it's the end of days gathering nuts and such for the winter haul.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    So after a wet night in the hide with no action to speak of I was back out just before light to hopefully get a bead on a Squirrel or two. I settled into the hide and in no time Squirrels began to appear in the trees around the hide and going about their nut gathering duties as well as chasing off intruders that entered their no fly zone.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Things were looking up and with the Gamo Whisper.22 in Shadow Camo at the ready I was giving all Squirrels a looksee through the glass just wanting that sweetspot shot.

Well here I am scanning the trees and eyeballing possible shots when movement down on the game trail caught my attention and what do we have here a "Bandit"? and it was a big one and looked like it had been out all night playing in the mud and was on it's way back to the den just running alittle late but still have seen them out throughout the morning and even during the day.

All my attention shifted to the Bandit who was moving along at a slow pace just checking things out as it moved along and then suddenly stopped dead on the trail  about 30yrds out and I'm guessing caught a glimpse of movement on my end as I readjusted the shooter and dropped down behind the glass.

The Bandit would look right in my direction then drop it's head to the ground as if to sniff and maybe get a whiff of what was down in this woodsy box with a hole in it hehe. Then it just decided to hang right there and start to clean itself first time I had seen this as it sat back on it's bottom and worked on cleaning it's belly weird stuff I thought as I worked on locking the crosshairs onto a sweetspot.

The Bandit had it's head down as it licked at it's belly which was giving me a top of the fusebox shot which actually is a great local into the brainpan so I locked onto that as it cleaned away and with all looking really good sent a 14.66g FTT away which hammered home shortly after causing the big Bandit to throw itself right onto it's back and with one back leg kicking and pushing the Bandit in a muddy circle which lasted for about two and a half revolutions hehe and all was dead still.

I was still kinda surprised about the Bandit showing up but will take em when I can and did a quick scan up to the trees for any nutters around...not a one in sight hehe so just gloved up stepped outside the hide and grabbed the rangefinder since this shot was past the local I usually set up goodies for the pest and with a quick zap of the rangefinder which came to 32yrds I moved on down the trail.

I arrived and got a good look at the Bandit which was a nice sized male and boy he was a dirty raider at that but with gloves on grabbed him by the back of the neck got some heft too and hauled him back for his photo shoot and still no nutters in sight.

I finished up with pics then figured I had my harvest and was happy with that and nutters will be around and seems like when I go nutter hunting something else shows so should I switch to hunting them at night lol...just a thought brothers hehe.

I'm thanking the Hunt Gods for my success upon my return from down south with Dad and maybe Dad sent some good Karma back with me and happy with just leaving it at that. ;D Shooter used was the Gamo Whisper.22 14.66g FTT and shot made at 32yrds to the top center of the fusebox...Fuzebox matter pushing out says it all. Ed

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 04:31:04 PM by shadow »
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Online Wayne52

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Re: Night Squirrel Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 05:34:45 PM »
Great job on getthing that big one Ed !!!
  • Michigan
HHDSUPCOM Cam Rahn Bay VN 71-72

My F10 Shoebox rocks 8)

Offline screwwork

• N.U.A.H. Marksman
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 06:33:02 PM »
Nuttin small about that Coonzilla, nice shot to the ole c-dome.
Great photos to Ed, congrats!
  • Nor-Cal
177. Airmax MK II pistol
22. 1322, pistol/carbine 
177. P-rod, double tubed, SS valve, 177. Mrod barrel NSA slugger Plus .22 MM HF barrel
22. Prod, LW barrel, SS valve (House Pest eliminator)
25. Mini-rod, 13cu tank
      Second breech - Arrow gun
.25 cal Raptor Mini
.25 Sumatra Carbine
357 Slayer

Offline steveoh

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 08:18:52 PM »
Good Shooting and Good Story Ed!
  • Benicia, CA
AirGun Safety
Sumatra Carbine .25
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Guild
Quackenbush .458 LA Outlaw
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw Pistol
Quackenbush .58 LA Outlaw
Citrus .257
Airforce Texan .257
Bunch of Crosman Pistols

Offline dk1677

• Squirrel !
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "Disco Dave"
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 08:20:23 PM »
A well fed bandit, Nice shot Bro Ed!
  • NY
22 Disco, Hammerli 850 22, Beeman RS3 22 ,Gamo viper express,Crosman 180 22 . One of many Dave's  ;) Forum Rules-  http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=919.msg6662#msg6662

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 08:25:51 PM »
Thanks Hunt Brothers :D and took some time to dress this one out lots of fat on this ole boy and had to basically wash down the hide to clean it for some fur trading. I have the gear and shooter ready and will be setting up by the residents house tonight to see how many raiders are getting by me and circling the fort so to speak. The resident informed me that he spot's at least 3 to 4 around the coop nightly and fresh diggings around the fence perimeter >:(. His dog let's him know when intruders are in the area as well as it takes up patrol in the living room window. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 08:26:56 PM »
Thanks brothers ;) and headed out the door shortly to keep the enemy from the gates. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline Xraycer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Black Guns Matter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 09:29:59 PM »
That there is the biggest squirrel I'd ever seen!

;D

Nice shot, Ed!
  • Southern NH, USA
Proud member of  F.U.G.L.Y.
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 04:43:33 PM »
LOL that's one of those ringed tailed Amazon Squirrels. ;). Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline Xraycer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Black Guns Matter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 08:01:54 AM »
LOL that's one of those ringed tailed Amazon Squirrels. ;). Ed
I was figuring Chernobyl  ;D
  • Southern NH, USA
Proud member of  F.U.G.L.Y.

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 08:13:19 PM »
LOL... relocation program hehe' Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline WiseGuy

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 08:18:58 PM »
Another great hunt story Ed, thanks for sharing the hunt with us all! Enjoy your posts all the time.
  • Downey, CA

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 06:42:17 PM »
Thank you kindly Brother :D. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am