Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: Little chill in the air  (Read 1693 times - 1 votes) 
)

Offline shadow

• Shadow...ole critter getter
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Little chill in the air
« on: September 27, 2018, 06:42:43 PM »
Spent the latter part of yesterday scouting my private hunt grounds to update any new findings on the numerous game trails then hung with the resident helping him with chicken coop reinforcements. The night raiders have picked up their activity thinking trying to fatten up for the upcoming fall and winter months and are making runs around the coop all through the night as well after daybreak.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           With all looking good at the residents I headed back home to get some grub and get the gear and shooter ready for the evenings pest control and time slipped past me and realizing that it was past 10 and sure I had missed the chance on a boat load of critters already so tossed the gear and shooter in the rig and was on m way.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Upon arriving back at the residents I wasted no time and with gear and shooter I hand quickly but with as much stealth as I could muster made my way across the field and took note of the chill in the air and happy that I stowed a wool sweater in the gear bag to keep some of the chill crawling in with me during the night.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 I slipped onto the game trail and switched my headlamp on knowing that any critter out there would take notice but no worries since it would only be for a moment and the lamp would be stationed at the goodie station the rest of the evening 25yrds down from my hide.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Dropped the gear and such at the hide then moved down the trail to set up the lamp and lay out some leftovers going Chinese tonight hehe then back to the hide to ready myself and the shooter and settle my mind in for the evening and any visitors.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Expecting on longer wait due to me making my presence on the trail with a late start I poured myself a cup of java took in the beautiful chilly night and thought all is good but didn't even get a sip from my first  cup of java as a Bandit just rolled without a care in the world it seemed and went right to work on the Chinese leftovers.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            There I sat holding a cup of java I one hand and the Gamo CFX .22in  the other with the barrel resting on the shooting winder ledge  well the java has got to go and bent over and gently placed it o the hide floor then refocused my efforts on dropping down behind the glass and acquiring this hungry raider with the crosshairs.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         As I found my target through the glass I took note that it was giving me a front profile shot then for some reason thought it had been awhile since one presented a side profile shot but wasn't complaining.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      The only problem I had was that it had it's lower part of it's head buried in leftovers and all I could get a bead on was eyes and ears so with that I eased the crosshairs up a hair put in the center of the fusebox and with all looking good let a 14.66 H&N FTT fly.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    A solid hit sounded back to me and the Bandit dropped face first into the goodies then quickly rolled to it's side and right into a wild break dancing death dance which lasted alittle over two minutes as I continue to watch through the glass taking note of the color red as well slinging about.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                It finally came to an end with a few kicks from it's back legs all still down the trail again so then I rested the shooter against the hide and took my first sip of java then gloved up with shooter in hand headed on down the trail and once there gave the Bandit a poke with the barrel for safety sake yup Bandit down.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                I give the harvest a closer look and another male with a good coat and a heck of a third eye with fusebox matter pushing out which was another good sign of a good hit in the right spot. Well time for it's photo shoot and actually get out of here before midnight and get him back to dress him out and prep for edibles.                                                                                                                                                         
I could have hung longer for sure since the critter activity from here up to the coops has been on a consistent rise but they will be there and still dong my part to let them know chicken raiding still comes with a price lol.                                                                                                                                                                   
The shooter for the evenings dance was the CFX.22 shot taking at 25yrds using the H&NFTT 14,66g with the usual frontal calling card to the fusebox. Ed

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 07:04:53 PM by shadow »
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline dk1677

• Squirrel !
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "Disco Dave"
Re: Little chill in the air
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 10:23:30 PM »
Another great hunt Bro Ed!
  • NY
22 Disco, Hammerli 850 22, Beeman RS3 22 ,Gamo viper express,Crosman 180 22 . One of many Dave's  ;) Forum Rules-  http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=919.msg6662#msg6662

Offline smythsg

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 10:34:29 PM »
Awesome story, great shooting... felt like I was there with you. Looking forward to that chill in the air you mention, but alas we are still a few weeks away from that in North GA.
  • North Atlanta, Georgia
Current Hunting Buddies:
SPA M16 .25 cal; Hatsan 25 Supercharger Vortex .177 cal; Airforce Escape UL .25 cal; Umarex Air Javelin

PCPs currently filled with 110 v Yong Heng Compressor

Others I have owned and enjoyed:
Benjamin Akela .22 cal; Evanix REX .357 cal; Seneca Recluse .357; MrodAir M10; MrodAir P12; AirForce Escape .25; Hatsan Bullboss; Hatsan BT65 Elite; Hatsan BT65 QE; Hatsan 135; Hatsan 125; Umarex Octane .25 custom; FDPCP GEN1; FDPCP GEN2;  Nitro Venom Dusk .177; Nitro Venom Dusk .22; Trail NP; Crosman Phantom; Crosman 1377

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 07:38:22 PM »
Thanks brothers and heading out soon here then follow it up with some morning Squirrel hunting. Makes for a long night and day but well worth it. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 08:19:15 PM »
No joy last night other then a Skunk that rolled through around midnight and ain't stinking up my hunt area for a critter that won't find it's way to the dinner plate. I dragged myself out early this morning after 3hrs of sleep to see if I could harvest a nutter or two. Plenty of nutter's moving about but all kept on the move gathering goodies for the winter haul and never presented a shot that I was comfortable with still good to see that their out there and sure something will come home with me in the future. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline dk1677

• Squirrel !
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "Disco Dave"
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 08:44:29 PM »
Yea youdon't need a Pepe LaPew Bro Ed, Do they bother the chickens ?
  • NY
22 Disco, Hammerli 850 22, Beeman RS3 22 ,Gamo viper express,Crosman 180 22 . One of many Dave's  ;) Forum Rules-  http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=919.msg6662#msg6662

Offline shadow

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 03:44:21 PM »
for sure brother :(
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am