Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: Rainy night in Shadowville  (Read 1610 times))

Offline shadow

• Shadow...ole critter getter
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Rainy night in Shadowville
« on: October 01, 2018, 04:20:14 PM »
Sunday's Squirrel hunting adventure had nothing but rain in store for me as I forced to hold up in the hide in hopes that a Squirrel would venter out and offer me a shot but nothing was moving in the steady downpour other then birds who shook the water off as the moved from branch to branch.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              So around 6pm I called it off and after throwing the rain slicker over myself gear and shooter case I slogged along the game trail till I reached the edge of the wood's then put once reaching the edge of the woods stepped out onto the open field where Ma Nature had her way with me as rain found all the weaknesses in my slicker.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Around 8ish I was dried off warmed back up and ready to head back out despite the rain still doing it's best to wash away an plans for a pes control hunt but if I head to pull out the raft and paddle back to the hide the pes control hunt was going too happen lol.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     With rubber boot's on and looking like I was going deep sea diving with all the water proof gear on I sloshed back across the field and gingerly stepped along the mud slick trail to the hide drooped of he gear and headed on down the trail 25yrds to toss down some bandit supper scraps which wasn't much other then some fatty sections of the bandit that wasn't eaten...yup using bandit meat scraps hehe.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Back in the hide I removed my rain gear and got my camo look going then readied the shooter which was locked and loaded then just easing back and listening the rain make it's own music on the roof of the hide which also helped  mask any sounds that may catch the attention of possible targets.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              I still had a good field of view despite the rainfall and the lamp lit the area around the offerings just fine and I was hoping maybe a critter or two will brave the weather and make a go for the coop up at the house and could cut em off at the pass.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Going on 10pm and looks like things are picking up as a C-rat appeared out of the darkness and after sniffing at the "Bandit" scraps went to work on them and offering me a shot that looked good so I dropped behind the glass and with all looking right let a CPHP fly which found it's mark sending the C-rat right into a death dance tail whipping roll.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   It was over quickly as the tail curled up in defeat and now it was time to throw o on the rai gear again and head on down the trail to get a closer look and haul the harvest back to the hide for some very quick pics.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  With a good inspection I gloved up and hauled the male C-rat back for some pics then called it a soggy night for sure and was pleased that the rainy night in Shadowtown wasn't a bust but still great to get out even when Ma Nature  wants to test ones steel.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 The shot was taken at the 25yrd mark using the B26.177 and CPHP 7.9g and sometimes we just got to stick it out smile up at Ma Nature and let her know your still there and hanging in. Ed                                                                     
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am

Offline mpbby

• Expert
Re: Rainy night in Shadowville
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 05:06:44 PM »
WOW!  In the first story after the comeback, I felt as the hunter was fine (as always), but the story teller was, let's say, a kind of speedy, much less "colorful comments" and details, a bit too objective (for when we are ..hunting together..)

They met again..! Thank you, Ed.
  • São Paulo/Brazil

Offline Wayne52

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 06:21:29 PM »
Great shooting on the opossum Ed !!! I seen a monster one about a year ago close to sunrise time, I don't think I've ever seen one quite that big before.  It spotted me as it came out of the swamp, it started moving at a much faster waddle and I tried to keep up to it at a fairly fast walk but the briars got the best of me and it moved up into a bunch of fallen down trees where I lost sight of it.
  • Michigan
HHDSUPCOM Cam Rahn Bay VN 71-72

My F10 Shoebox rocks 8)

Online dk1677

• Squirrel !
  • GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "Disco Dave"
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 06:36:53 PM »
Another great hunt Bro Ed!
  • NY
22 Disco, Hammerli 850 22, Beeman RS3 22 ,Gamo viper express,Crosman 180 22 . One of many Dave's  ;) Forum Rules-  http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=919.msg6662#msg6662

Offline shadow

• Shadow...ole critter getter
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 07:48:10 PM »
Thanks brothers ;) and brother Wayne seen some monster C-rat's around here and harvested some good sized ones last year. Ed
  • Michigan
I Hunt... therefore I am