GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > 3D printing and files

Would like to work with someone

(1/4) > >>

YEMX:
I have an idea, but I'm not very good w/3d drawing.  What I'm looking to do is create a piece for the FX Impact- a new scope rail.  I'd like to make one that has 20 MOA cant.  The rear of the scope rail would be the same height as factory, and the front would be lowered, creating the 20 MOA cant.  I would be able to send my scope rail to you for measuring and such.  Any takers?  I'd of course pay for services rendered. 

misterpepper:
I don't think a 3d printed scope rail is a good idea for several reasons, durability being the first. I certainly wouldn't want to put a scope I cared at all about on one. The mounting holes screw sizes are too small and I wouldn't trust the scope rings to stay tight. Plus with any temperature change your scope zero would change because plastic shrinks and expands with temperature at a different rate than aluminum. You are better off buying a 20 moa scope base or a 20 moa rail riser which I think is essentially what you are trying to accomplish.

JohnnyPDX:

--- Quote from: YEMX on February 11, 2021, 11:49:23 AM ---...I'd like to make one that has 20 MOA cant...

--- End quote ---

Buy a Taipan Veteran. ;) ;) ;)

HunterWhite:
I just ran across some adjustable mounts yesterday. I did order a pair, but I  haven't received them yet.
I did ask if anyone had experience with these here:

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=183903.0

YEMX:

--- Quote from: misterpepper on February 12, 2021, 04:12:40 AM ---I don't think a 3d printed scope rail is a good idea for several reasons...  You are better off buying a 20 moa scope base or a 20 moa rail riser which I think is essentially what you are trying to accomplish.

--- End quote ---

Valid points, but a few things I should mention (my fault, as I didn't specify in the OP)- I'm wanting to create a prototype piece from which an aluminum version could be made.  Though, if the right material is chosen, I don't think durability would be an issue.  I could potentially send the file off to a printing company to print it in a more durable material I have no access to, if the overall design works.  Though, I'm not really sure that's an option as I'm not hardcore into 3D printing yet.  I think you're picturing a straight copy of an Impact's scope rail, but with a cant in it.  That's not the case- "my" version would be solid.

You're right- I could simply buy a 20 moa cant base and slap that on top of the factory rail, or I could purchase adjustable rings- but that doesn't solve one of my issues- overall height.  I'm looking to get the scope lower.  Simply adding a canted mount or rings would put the scope that much higher, defeating my main purpose of having a new rail made.

--- Quote from: HunterWhite on February 12, 2021, 08:05:22 AM ---I just ran across some adjustable mounts yesterday. I did order a pair, but I  haven't received them yet.
I did ask if anyone had experience with these here:

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=183903.0

--- End quote ---

I saw your post!  I'm keeping an eye on it for sure!

This whole post might be moot, as it looks like Kraford & Lypt are making an adjustable scope rail...  Maybe I can convince them to make a lower non-adjustable rail w/a 20 moa cant...  I'll send them an email.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version