Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: Action Camera side mount  (Read 444 times))

Offline customcutter

• Expert
  • yes
Re: Action Camera side mount
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2022, 05:06:30 PM »
More progress this morning.  I put the piece that mounts onto the section that holds the cube in my larger machinist vise.  I squared it to the vise using a small machinist square.  Then I milled the rectangular section down to approx. .200" thick.

Next I had to indicate the center of the 1" hole that is bored into it.  I trammed the mill in the Y axis from center location .500" (half the hole diameter), then an additional .250" (half the mill cutter diameter), then .136" more (the distance from the edge of the cube to the edge of the cylindrical part holding the cube).  I have said before I am not a machinist.  I don't have a DRO yet on my mill, and my CNC portion is not functioning.  I have to indicate/locate everything manually using indicators.  (Several times I've gotten lost in the math, adding/subtracting radius's, etc..)  I milled the top edge, doing climb milling, and going very slowly.  I knew that the part was not very secure in the machinist vice. 

I went back to center, trammed over to machine the right-hand side.  Again, I wanted to use climb milling for a better finish and less burrs.  As Joe Pie says on his YT machining channel, "If the chip exceeds the grip, then the part will slip."  I had milled maybe .200" and the part jumped in the vise.  Luckily nothing was damaged, I just had to go through the aggravation of another setup and indicating everything back in. :o  Lesson learned, next time do conventional milling to a few thousandths of size and clean up with a climb milling pass.  Especially if you have a minimum grip on the part.

I finished up the other 3 sides without incident.  The photo is of only the chips from cutting the last side down to size.
  • Valrico, Fl

Offline customcutter

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2022, 05:14:55 PM »
Here is the part balanced on top of the cube section.  The camera housing and it's bracket are inserted into the part.  Right now they are hopefully much longer than needed at almost 2" long each.  I will machine them shorter once I have determined what the minimum focal length is for the 12mm and 16mm lenses.

I still have to indicate and drill clearance holes for the mounting bolts and indicate, drill, and tap the holes in the cube section.  Also once I know the focal length I can drill and tap holes for holding the camera section at the appropriate angle, instead of rotating freely inside the other tube.

Coming together nicely.

Edit:  Sorry, it rotated the pics 90* left for some reason.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 05:20:02 PM by customcutter »
  • Valrico, Fl

Offline customcutter

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2022, 05:41:38 PM »
I got to spend a little more time in the garage this morning.  I was able to clearance drill the holes for mounting the tube to the side of the cube holder.  Also I was able to locate and drill the tap holes for that tube into the side of the cube holder.  Sorry, I didn't get a pic of drilling the tap holes.  Here are some pics of it tapped and mounted on the scope on the "new to me" FX Wildcat I got last week. ;D  I wish those lens extenders would get here.  I might have to dig out the gears for my lathe for metric threading. :o

I still need to turn it down on the end to mount a rubber eye cup.  Also once I get the lens extenders I can shorten the tubes to the desired length.  Then I'll have to try spray painting it inside and out to reduce glare.
  • Valrico, Fl

Offline customcutter

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2022, 08:24:10 PM »
The lens extenders came in Wednesday and I started fooling with them trying to get either the 12 or 16mm lens to focus properly on the camera.  Nothing worked, the best I could do was get it to act like a macro lens and almost focus, but still too fuzzy to be useful.  So I pulled the extender off and tried the 12 and 16mm lenses again.  Call me crazy but about 4 turns in they both seemed to focus now. ;D

I was trying to hold the gun, adjust the scope, adjust the camera, and nearly dropped it a couple of times.  I knew that I had a swivel head vise that had a suction cup base on it.  The question was where was it?  Finally the other day while I was in the shop I spotted it on the corner of one of the "buried a foot deep" counter tops.

Tonight, I finally had my 3rd set of hands and was able to hold the scope securely while I attempted to get the reticle in focus.  I cut the scope eye cup in half and stretched it over the back of the scope.  The picture quality on the camera is much better with it in place.  It looked washed out before.  The only machining left is to either install an o-ring to hold the camera tube in tension and stop it from turning or most likely I will drill and tap some set screws to keep it from turning.

At present I have the 16mm lens installed.  With the present set-up the 12mm lens only partially fills the camera screen, and a lot of black in the rectangle around the circle of the scope lens.  With the 16mm lens the entire camera screen is filled with the view of the scope.  I'm pretty sure that the 12mm lens will work (fill the screen) if I shorten the tubes and bring the camera closer to the cube.
  • Valrico, Fl

Offline sb327

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2022, 08:54:46 PM »
Nice work. Iím just following along. Canít say I understand all the complexities but itís interesting.

Dave
  • USA, OK, Stigler
Dave

Offline customcutter

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2022, 09:35:05 PM »
Nice work. Iím just following along. Canít say I understand all the complexities but itís interesting.

Dave

Thanks Dave!  I'm not sure I understand everything either. ;D  I've probably watched somewhere between 25-50 videos on different builds, and just scopecam videos trying to figure out how to make one.  I just couldn't justify buying one, even though I could. :o  I just decided a few weeks back to try building it and take it one day/part at a time as time allowed and see where it lead me.

If you have any questions, please chime in.  I wish I understood the valves that I've seen you post.  I'm hoping to start a gun build later, when the weather cools off, or maybe get started on some swaging dies. ;D  Hopefully both, but for now I'm getting familiar with my machines again.
  • Valrico, Fl