GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Vintage Air Gun Gate

crosman 120 rebiuld

(1/7) > >>

pan60:
guys and gals, i thought i would get a few opinions on the crosman 120 rebiuld.

the gun has been spray painted black and someone has used the pocket knife on the stock.
i am planing on striping the piant off and from there i need to decide on a repaint or just polish it up.
as to the stock i am leaning in the direction of disguising the initials carved in it. i dont think checkering will do it but maybe a bascket weave?
so whats would your thoughts b

Goose:
Nice find!

It's a tough one for sure...  I'd strip the finish and see what it looks like after before making any more decisions.  Hoping that the initials fade after bare wood is exposed.  You may be able to steam the wood where it was carved to even it out.

It's amazing how much damage a kid and a pocketknife can do.  I have (self-inflicted) scars to prove it.

Good luck,

J~

pan60:
i thought about steam but those initials are carved in pretty deep 1/8" plus

but we will see.

eeler1:
I had a Crosman 101 that ‘Jim’ had carved his name in.  Took me a while, but I found a ‘Jim’ to sell it to.  So I was going to suggest selling it to someone with those initials, but I can’t quite make out the letters.

Don’t give up on the steaming to minimize the gouging.  That and sandpaper should make them less noticeable. 

If the metal isn’t too bad, cold blue can cover it up pretty well.  Otherwise, Duracoat is a pretty good option, or if you know someone who does parkerizing that would work too.  Certainly not original but after 70 years maybe time to use more modern processes. 

The 120 is similar in many ways to the 109/110, some parts may be interchangeable.  Rebuild of internals is similar too.

happymecanic:

--- Quote from: pan60 on November 11, 2022, 12:01:19 PM ---guys and gals, i thought i would get a few opinions on the crosman 120 rebiuld.

the gun has been spray painted black and someone has used the pocket knife on the stock.
i am planing on striping the piant off and from there i need to decide on a repaint or just polish it up.
as to the stock i am leaning in the direction of disguising the initials carved in it. i dont think checkering will do it but maybe a bascket weave?
so whats would your thoughts b

--- End quote ---

Nice find, congrats! Sorry for the defaced stock, that's just too bad, but good advices given here.

These guns are well worth a rebuild. Does yours have the early brass barrel, or the late steel one?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version