GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Vintage Air Gun Gate

1300 Medalist Mods … Pumped Up

(1/2) > >>

threesuns:
In the spring I picked up a couple crosman parts pistols (a phase 2 1377 & 1300 medalist II) & set about making 1 from 2.

Here’s a link … https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=199022.0 … to my initial modified 1300.

Seeing room for improvement I made a few more modifications & am really pumped up with the results.

1rst … though using the 1377 rear cocker, the trigger could be improved further with a little attention to the contact points & reducing the spring by about 1 coil. It is still a little long but, butter smooth!

2nd … better front sight by Blue Fork & fits the modern 13xx pistols, which meant shorting the tube by 7/32” to align the pivot pin holes & relieving the pump handle just a little to vent the compression chamber at full extension.

3rd … replaced my modified 1377 pump rod & cup with the correct 1300 medalist pump rod & cup + flat topped the 1377 valve to match. I’m using the old style 1377 check valve which reduces volume by a little & angled the exhaust for better flow. Lastly changed out the OEM TP for poly tubing. Results nearly 10% gain in fps (10 pumps was 340 with 14.3 CPHP from walmart & now 370fps).

curiosity got the best of me … (only did 1x but 15 pumps = 414fps with no residual air)
                                        … the longer phase 2 1377 barrel hit 490fps with 7.9gr & 10 pumps
                                        … installing my phase 1 1322 upper saw close to 15fps gain over the shorter barrel

i really like this pistol but NOT the original blow off valve!

When thinking about this I couldn’t find a lot of mod recommendations for the 1300 Medalist & hope this is of interest to others.

Mzq284:
Very kool pistol. I had one i picked up in a deal, it pumped up fine and shot good  but the trigger was atrocious. A friend asked about it a few times so i gave it to him. He's enjoying it.

Ascot500:
Why do you dislike the blow off valve?

threesuns:
Given the option of resealing the original valve & it’s quad seal versus resealing a 1377 valve I opt’d for the latter. I find it much easier.
Also with the original design, the trigger gets increasingly harder to pull with each pump you put in. And as Mzq284 said, “the trigger was atrocious” (I’ll add at 8-10 pumps).

By adding the 1377 valve + rear cocking mechanism, trigger pull is consistent, because it determined by the hammer spring tension, whether I pump 6, 8, 10 or even 15 times.

Try 15 pumps with the original blow off valve & it would be nearly impossible to pull the trigger, if it wasn’t valve locked. Not that I’m advocating 15 pumps is always necessary but there may be times when 3fpe just won’t cut it & 6fpe is more than enough.

These mods have made this pistol a pleasure to shoot irregardless of the power output.

Ascot500:
Interesting
Thanks for the reply

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version