GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Vintage Air Gun Gate

Crosman 147

(1/3) > >>

c801tfd:
Well summer is almost gone and this has been sitting in pieces on my bench since April. I lost my before pictures but can tell you this Crosman 147M (November 1968) was in rough non shooting shape. When I got it had the following issues:

1. Lots of surface rust - will redo at some point but for now happy with how it cleaned up tonight.
2. The compression tube was warped/bent - This was a challenge but was able to true it up using a chunk of round steel a friend gave me to use in June.
3. Would not pump up or hold air - replaced pump cup with a Mac1 Flat Top piston and seal kit tonight, wow it came to life and now hold air with no leaks of air.
4. Elm stock and forearm were in decent shape just oil stained - In May I stripped it down, light sanded, applied Minwax American walnut stain then applied 5 coats of true oil, I really like how it turned out.
5. Cleaned the barrel to see if the rifling was still there, it was so even though the bolt has a magnet the past owner(s) appear to have shot very few if any BB’s with it.
6. I still have 2 items to get for it being a new screw for the bolt slide cover and a new flip safety.

Overall I am pleased with the result and will be testing it over the weekend for accuracy and velocity.

OTmachine:
Lookin’ Good.  Nice grain in the stock!  Thanks for sharing.

TooJung2Die:
That's a really nice looking elm stock. It a nice bold grain. There must've been a surplus of elm when the trees were all dying. I'm glad Crosman took advantage of it.

Mzq284:
That stock came out beautifully!  Love that elm. I picked one up in decent shape  at the Kalamazoo show. Didn't build pressure and the barrel looked to not have never had rifling. Since i prefer 22s i ordered a 362 barrel and tore it down. Refinished the stock a deep, reddish walnut color, it came out fantastic. Last coat of truoil went on last night after cutting the barrel to fit like original. Have to pick up a couple o rings today and it should be shooting by Monday.

Also bought a 114 stock and fitted my 362 to it. Its not as sharp looking as the other, but still much nicer than the plastic stock. I wish Crosman would put them in the 2260 stocks, it would be almost a drop in. Im thinking of buying another 362 and doing just that for my honey, she liked shooting the 362. Christmas is coming!

Mzq284:
I have to  add, if I'd seen your 147 a couple days ago, i would've been on the way to the hardware store to make a Minwax purchase! I may just do that yet!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version