GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > American/U.S. Air Gun Gates

CROSMAN SILICONE CHAMBER OIL DIESLING ?

(1/5) > >>

REDHAWK44:
I added a drop of Crosman Silicone Chamber Oil into the compression chamber of my Crosman Vantage 22 cal  Nitro Piston Gas Spring Break Barrel Airgun. I was under the impression that the Silicone Chamber Oil was not going to diesel, Boy was I wrong . The shot went off every bit as loud as one of my 22 Rimfire rounds.
I wonder what my neighbors thought ? luckily no one called the law on me thank god for the little things huh ?
Well anyhow whats the deal with this oil? Ive been led to believe that it was safe to shoot. I shot 10 more times and it finally stopped the dieseling. Is there an oil out there that wont diesel ? I feel Crosman should make it clear to shooters that this oil is definately combustable and will wake up your baby that's taking a nap. If I had known how loud the  shot was going to be I would have tried to find another brand that doesn't make your gun sound like a 22 long rifle. Any info on a good non-combustable chamber oil would be appreciated. Tell Crosman they owe me $4 bucks for the price of this oil that I will not use.

SteveP-52:
In the older rifles, the piston seals were leather and the oil was to keep them supple and doing their job. In the new guns, the piston seals are synthetic and don't need to be oiled, so not a clue why Crosman includes it or even recommends using it every so many shots.

Horatio:
Ignorant guess, bear with me.

What if the silicone oil helped some preservative oil or cutting fluid slip past the piston seal, or otherwise come into the chamber? And that was what was burning?

LeadPoisoner:
i usually put a drop of RMCoil every 2 or 3x 500 pellet tin in chamber and let sit overnight pointed up to moisten seal overnight.
doesnt diesel as much but as i only put 1 drop so it will at least 3 to 5 times.

i read automatic trans fluid, not sure how good it is for seal tho.
corn oil ?

nced:
"Is there an oil out there that wont diesel ?"
Regardless of the maintenance advice given by piston gun manufacturers and the "witches brew" they sell...........in general it isn't good to do any piston seal lubing through the transfer port. Better and more permanent solution is to do a tear down and then a proper lubing with a minute amount of molly paste with 65% or higher molly content. Even molly paste will diesel if it gets in front of the piston seal since it has a petroleum base.

One lube that won't diesel is the pricey "space station lube" called Dupont Krytox. I've been using the GPL205 formula for a few years and I'm pleased with the performance. Krytrox is also sold as an oil which can be added through the transfer port but since this non-dieseling/combusting lube doesn't mix well with "dinosaur oil based lubes", the gun would need to be disassembled and the petro based lubes stripped off the parts. Here are a couple pics of my Krytox grease and oil........

Anywhoo.....IMHO, more piston airguns are destroyed by over lubing than under lubing!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version