GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > American/U.S. Air Gun Gates

Crosman Vantage Break In Period

(1/3) > >>

REDHAWK44:
I've purchased a Crosman Vantage from Pyramid  Air . I think I'm still in the break in period I've fired about 200 rounds thru it and the groups have went from 8 inch groups down to 4 inch group at 20 yards I thought by now (meaning I've fired over 200 rounds) I would be getting much smaller groups.
The question I have is will the gun continue to improve with more rounds fired ? What size groups should I expect with iron sights at 20 yards. I've been shooting for over 5 decades so I am a decent shot considering my eyes ain't as good as they used to be. If the groups don't improve I'm considering returning this gun and getting another one just like it.
Does anyone know of anything I can do to shrink these large groups ? The gun is a 22 cal

gendoc:
have you tried various pellet manufacturers and weights ?
i have best accuracy in several different .22's i have with the
H&N sport field target trophy in 14.66gr

REDHAWK44:
So far I've tried 6 or 7 different brands, styles and weights . Crosman 14.3 gr domes group the best . I've tried 4 different styles and weights of JSB all with less than desirable groups.
I'll try more brands till I find the right one. Any other ideas ? Does anyone think my groups will shrink with more rounds fired ? It takes time,effort and money to break in an airgun . An inaccurate gun is no fun and I don't want to waste anymore ammo if there will not be any improvement. Should I send the gun back and exchange it for another one ? Would you continue to spend more time and money shooting it hoping these horrible groups will get smaller ?
I'm new to break barrel air guns and need a little guidance and help is appreciated.

Roadworthy:
You admit being new to airguns - are you sure it's the gun and not the pellets or your shooting style?  Do you shoot offhand or off a bench?  Spring piston airguns generally prefer the artillery hold.

Bear in mind the gun is starting to move from the recoil long before the pellet exits the barrel.  It is critical that the gun be held precisely the same way every time.  How's the trigger?  Generally Crosman guns have a very stiff trigger and that can have an impact on accuracy as well.

Did you clean the barrel yet?  That is really important, as it tightening the stock screws.  Little things are critical.

REDHAWK44:
I've tried various holds I'm shooting off the bench with the forearm resting on a bag. I've tried gripping loose , tight and have tried the artillery hold while resting on a bag and holding the guns forearm at different positions. I've tried seating the pellets different depths in the chamber. Im new to break barrel airguns however I've owned a couple Blue Streaks the first one I got new in 1972.My newest Blue Streak was bought in 1998 and was manufactured in April 1997.
So I've tried to adjust the trigger on this gun so I can anticipate when it will break.I am aware of the action of  the gun  and theres a lot going on before the pellet leaves the barrel. Seriously I've experimented and I'm running out of ideas. I was expecting half inch groups at 20 yards by now. I can shoot better than a two inch group with my 1377 with iron sights at 20 yards.Please don't tell me this gun won't out shoot my 1377 pistol. Because right now as it stands my pistol is out shooting this rifle. Its getting frustrating .Should I be more patient or am I wasting time and money hoping it will get better? I'm thinking I'll shoot 100 more  rounds and if it doesn't improve send it back get another one and start all over again.
 Yes I cleaned the barrel before I shot the gun and cleaned it after every 100/rounds after that. I realize there are a lot of factors involved .I tightened the stock screws before I shot it and the tightened them every hundred rounds.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version