GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

General pellet selection and airgun power question(s)

(1/7) > >>

Wheelman:
I hope this is the correct gate to ask these questions.

I recently purchased a Benjamin Prowler .22 to use in ridding my yard of a group of destructive eastern gray squirrels. 
I chose the .22 caliber after doing research, all of which indicated it's a better option for humanely dispatching squirrels and is less likely to produce through and through shots.

I also watched several reviews, one by Kenny Kormendy prompted me to choose the Prowler, which I've generally been happy with.

As of now I've taken 6 squirrels at ranges varying from 15 to 25 yards and every single one has resulted in a through and through.
Most of the shots have been body shots but 2 were good clean head shots, all resulted in the squirrel expiring in a matter of minutes.
The most recent shot has prompted this post, it was a little over 20 yards, I hit the squirrel just to the right of it's left eye, the pellet exited the skull to the left and slightly behind the right ear.  The squirrel didn't exhibit the typical thrashing, it just fell to the ground and lay there, although it continued to breathe for a few minutes.
Even though this was a head shot it looked like the pellet didn't slow down or expand much on the way through.

I've been using Crosman Premier Hollow Point pellets (14.3 gr), I don't have a chrono so can only guess at the FPS/FPE but based on reviews I've found the rifle should be producing around 17 - 18 FPE.

Is my experience with this level of energy and the pellets I'm using typical when applied to squirrels, even large grays?
Any recommendations for pellets that will expand more and possibly not result in through and through shots?

Wheelman

ShakySarge:
It's going to be difficult to find a pellet that won't pass through a squirrel even out to 30 yards or more especially at what you believe the gun is shooting as far as FPE goes. The accuracy is what I would worry about more than it passing through. Perhaps some Predator Polymags would BE less inclined to pass through as much. I don't use them but a lot of folks swear by them.

Hoosier Daddy:
We call that DRT (Dead Right There). You got his fuse box (brain) . The gasping was a involuntary muscle reaction all living things have even though the sensory (voluntary) system is toast.
I believe the FPS of a pellet after a pass through would be so diminished it would not travel much further.
 That said CPHP 14.3 are hard, it is not pure lead. There must be a decent content of say zinc in their mix as well. so they do not deform much. (squeeze one between your finger and thumb)
Try using a wadcutter, say of JSB or H&N varieties. That flat nose seems to pack a whole lotta whollup. Squeeze the skirt on one the same way and you will see the difference ... and they will give greater accuracy in the ranges you called out. ;)

Eddie_E:
Try Crow Magnums or Terminators if you want expansion. Wadcutters are also worth a try, at least from my experience with .177 squirrel hunting. Wadcutters were a nearly instant kill in .177

ranchibi:

--- Quote from: Hoosier Daddy on December 12, 2018, 05:56:12 PM ---We call that DRT (Dead Right There). You got his fuse box (brain) . The gasping was a involuntary muscle reaction all living things have even though the sensory (voluntary) system is toast.
I believe the FPS of a pellet after a pass through would be so diminished it would not travel much further.
 That said CPHP 14.3 are hard, it is not pure lead. There must be a decent content of say zinc in their mix as well. so they do not deform much. (squeeze one between your finger and thumb)
Try using a wadcutter, say of JSB or H&N varieties. That flat nose seems to pack a whole lotta whollup. Squeeze the skirt on one the same way and you will see the difference ... and they will give greater accuracy in the ranges you called out. ;)

--- End quote ---

I like Scott’s thinking and a wadcutter acting like a frying pan will produce a larger wound channel and maybe less pass throughs. I used to shoot rats with .177 wadcutters...great ammo for short distances on small game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version