GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Air Gun Gate

Soft Bedding Spring guns by Mike Hancock

(1/32) > >>

TimmyMac1:
How to Soft Bed Spring Piston / Gas Ram Pellet guns.  (by Mike Hancock)
Purpose: Floats spring tube metal on a thin, mushy layer of Neoprene up off of the stock wood.
Result: Reduces felt vibration, allows BENCH RESTING on firm sandbags which aids accuracy!

Get 1/8th-inch thick Neoprene from E-Bay- $4.95 includes shipping. Adhesive backed material.
It's the principal of floating metal off the wood.  Use a box cutter and straight edge to cut 3/8th wide strips.
Peel paper off sticky back of neoprene strips. Single edge safety razor really helps get paper started off sticky back.
Place strips in bedding channel about 1/16 up from drop-off edge.  It will mush down and fill the gap. 
Put Two full length strips in channel (one on each side) leaving a gap back at the trigger from half way between trigger pins to the back of inletting. Small pieces fill back end of inletting leaving gap for cross pin and cut out to allow room for trigger group.
Full SOFT BEDDING COMPLETE Now you need to install the action into the wood.
Use "C" clamp to get front stock screws down far enough to start since they are now sitting on 1/8" of  neoprene. Make sure you don't strip the screws. This is especially tricky when you have cups fitted. Start front stock screw holes first. Then do trigger guard screws. 
INSTRUCTIONS AFTER BEDDING 

1.  Tighten all screws tight
2.  Let sit overnight
3.  Day 2 -- Morning -- Tighten Again
4.  Day 2 -- afternoon -- Tighten Again -- shoot 20
5.  Day three -- Tighten again -- DONE! 
6.  Periodically test screw tightness.

YOU HAVE A SOFT BEDDED PELLET GUN THAT WILL SHOOT SOFTER, QUIETER, AND MORE ACCURATELY.

YOU CAN HARD BENCH-REST YOUR  SPRING PISTON AND GAS RAM GUNS NOW! 
Principal Works for any GUN.   

All guns have different stock inletting and cut-outs.  Just put Neoprene on all wood surfaces where spring tube metal contacts the stock wood.
YOU WANT TO FLOAT THE METAL ON VERY THIN LAYER OF NEOPRENE SO IT'S NOT TOUCHING WOOD ANY LONGER. 

Mike has done this to the following models with equal success on all. TX 200 / HW 97K / HW 77 / R-9 / R-7 / HW 50
Webley / Benjamin NP's / etc.  He supplied Mac1 with this information so we could share it with everyone.

If you would like a 7250KB Word file with Pictures I can send you what Mike sent me. Just send an email to mac1airgun@gmail.com and Put "Soft Bed" in the subject. Large file no dial ups. I would be glad to forward you the 97 word document complete with pictures Mike took when doing the process to an R1 Beeman. He illustrates specific things he did to other models as well.

I've shot Mikes guns and it is a very nice discharge characheristic. Dead calm without tuning and majic with a good tune.

I'm not convinced it will eliminate the need for a soft hold to achieve the ultimate spring gun accuracy but Mike is Convinced he can now rest any springer and shoot good groups. I'd say he is onto something. It'll cost you only $5 to find out. Chump change.

TimmyMac1

cooter472:
Awesome Tim, you are always looking at and for innovation. Thank You

Austin E:
Will give this a try with my R1 and report back soon.

Gertrude:
so are we talking about using adhesive backed weather stripping similar to this ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-x-1-8-50-Closed-Cell-Neoprene-Weatherstrip-Foam-/390164532024?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad79e4b38

If so, it should be available at any home improvement store.
I may have to try this on both my RS2 and my D48

Fowlpursuit:
Sounds like a legit idea however, wouldn't tightening the screws down as stated compress the neoprene so much that it would no longer offer the desired cushioning effect?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version