GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Vintage Air Gun Gate

How often to oil steroid benjamin 392

(1/2) > >>

LegoFox:
Hi, I had a steroid benjamin 392 for a couple years now(it is a recent model). The first year of ownership, I was either unsure, or I forgot to read the instructions well...but I didn't oil the porous metal thingy that is attached to the link arm. I learned that you must oil this part in order to blow contaminates and moisture out of the entire gun. I didn't know this for the entire first year of owning my steroid. For the second year I gave it about 5 drops of oil "everytime" I went out to shoot it. I don't oil the other links because they seem to retain oil for a long time and I don't want to overdo it and have oil dripping all over. So my questions are....
-Is it important to oil the porous piston part "every single time" I go out and shoot?
-Did I do damage to my gun by not oiling it for the first year?
-I never cleaned the barrel ever...How often should I do this? Is it necessary to clean this for the "health" of the gun, or is it only an accuracy issue?
Thanks in advance.

Habanero69er:
Nathan, as long as the pivot points are "wet" then they are fine. If the rifle is holding air, then it's doubtful you did any damage to the piston/seals, etc. Just give the piston a couple drops of Secret Sauce after every shooting session where you shot more than say, 25 shots. As long as the piston looks moist, you're good. And don't forget to leave 3 pumps in it when storing the rifle. Only clean the barrel when you notice accuracy falling off.   

LegoFox:
Thanks for the reply. I tend to store it with 5 pumps because when I used to store it at 3 pumps, I ended up with leaking air. 5 seems to hold the seal better. I will clean the barrel now just for kicks. Does anyone have an opinion on if the "cleaning pellets" are any good? I have the cleaning kit supplied by mac1 airgun.

Habanero69er:
Cleaning pellets are okay for an interim cleaning. I usually douche 2-3 down with Ballistol, shoot. Repeat with 2 dry ones, shoot. Then 2-3 with some FP-10 to coat barrel, shoot. Done.
The Crown Saver you got from Tim obviously works even better.

LegoFox:
Hi thanks. I wont bother with cleaning pellets then since the crown saver is better. This is of topic but just an hour ago I lost the side elevation locking screw on my williams peep. Couldn't find a link on where to buy a replacement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version