GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Air gun Entertainment and reviews > Airgun Detectives

Indecision within my choice of platform on a budget

(1/3) > >>

Aceairguns:
I sent the poor people of gtr3 triggers this message this, I am looking at purchasing a budget air rifle, I had an old benjamin .22 bolt action variable pump in a walnut stock as a kid, from what I can see they are appx 300$ now what looks identical in the 392/397 w model, but now only comes in a synthetic stock, I could easily shoot tight groups at 50 yards with the original iron sights, I am looking at either the trail np xl in .25 or .22, the hatsan mod 65 in .25 or .30, I have seen the trail np in .177 and .22 with your trigger shooting some impressive groups at 75 yards, I guess my question is with my current budget for targets, pellets, and gun or gun with upgraded trigger/scope is right around 400-500$, range and consistent accuracy being my priority, and would prefer a decent pcp set up but after the air rifle, scope, compressor and travel tank I am over the cost of my Remington 700cdl, should I just save up the money to get the consistency and saving my shoulder for a pcp, or do you feel the trail np xl in a .25 or hatsan in a .25 using your upgraded trigger will deliver the same results as I have seen on YouTube? I would have to order everything from the air gun to pellets and possibly scope and trigger, as there are no airgun specific stores in my area. are these budget breaks barrels like hatsan 65, 125, or 135 carnivore, do u make hatsan upgraded triggers? are these break barrels not the way to go for consistent accuracy? Is the 392s bolt action pump in composite stock just as good as my walnut model from the early 1990s? If the nitro piston will just die in 3 years?
I do know I would like to eventually save for a pcp big bore, so I guess I'm not well versed enough in the new models of break barrels, as I've never gotten the consistent accuracy from one, when I gave up on airguns 10 years ago, now I am the full time caretaker of an elderly friend who is the 83 year old widow of a veteran who needs 24/7 supervision, so bc she can't be left alone I'm getting anxious, going crazy! I know how satisfying mastering a particular airgun can be, being unable to shoot a 22lr here I can shoot air rifles off the back porch, where I can legally fire an air rifle while not leaving the elderly woman, I need something to keep me sane dealing with the blind woman suffering from bad dymensia, sadly her family won't come see her and she can't afford a care taker, bc I can't fish, my preferred outlet of decompression, I guess I want to know if the .22+ springers are worth purchasing budget models, if the trigger is going to help that much if the air gun has that much recoil and cheaply made, the lighter trigger makes any gun more user friendly, advice on a specific model, is .25 just too big in a budget springer? Lastly should I just wait to save for the pcp I know I can achieve the back porch accuracy over distance is my best choice? Open to underlever and only want to take squirls, birds, turkey, (season ends at the end of may in ny) and rabbits to eat...the rest of the time it's just a way to escape and relax, any advice or suggestions would be met with the utmost gratitude,
That was the message sent, I literally can't find the .22 bolt action variable pump gun I had anywhere for sale and worry if I do it will be beat up and have blown seals, again a airgun with the accuracy and power to one shot a turkey is my ultimate goal, I have seen roughly 2/3 of gamo guns are defective from manufacturing, I want something reliable accurate and manufactured to the quality of my benjamin I lost in a move somehow, a bolt action under/side lever is acceptable, if not preferable, I don't have faith in break barrels but everyone I've owned or shot were springers, not gas piston springs, so perhaps I have the bejamin bolt action, or fixed barrels biased, b4 someone tells me the diana 54 etc I might as well buy the umarex as I have seen videos showing the prestigious Diana have bigger groups than the gamo, and I do know a well dialed in TX or Diana is a solid platform that can be tuned to my specs, but I'm looking for a shooter out of the box, .22-.25 bigger small bores, I have watched so many conflicting videos it seems the only thing to get what I want is a pcp, but I don't have a pcp wallet? I don't get paid for taking care of my friend and she's offered to purchase an air rifle along with my savings I can swing 500 max today? All feed back is welcomed thanks and I hope to find some helpful advice navigating the ginormous selections of modern air rifles...

SwampHunter:
ebay has a gen 1 guantlet in .22 or 25 for under $250 and an urban as well. svbony has a scope sale on amazon where you can get a decent scope for under $50. a cheap chinese hand pump and you have everything you need.

Aceairguns:
#swamp hunter thanks for the advice, I am new here and don't know if it's appropriate to talk pcp in the springer page, however I know little about the umarex gauntlet, and unfamiliar with urban, which is better? if I am buying a pcp gun I would hope for the ability to moderate fps, is it adjustable? Subsonic? In the 25, and is it capable of shooting the "slug" style pellet? I mean if I'm going pcp I would like to be able to have the capabilities associated with a pcp, that farther reach, modifiable/upgradeable, I actually had it saved in my ebay "watching" but being unsure if it's a grooved 11mm mount or the piccatiny system? Any help would be great before the investment

avator:

--- Quote from: Aceairguns on May 12, 2023, 08:01:11 PM ---#swamp hunter thanks for the advice, I am new here and don't know if it's appropriate to talk pcp in the springer page, however I know little about the umarex gauntlet, and unfamiliar with urban, which is better? if I am buying a pcp gun I would hope for the ability to moderate fps, is it adjustable? Subsonic? In the 25, and is it capable of shooting the "slug" style pellet? I mean if I'm going pcp I would like to be able to have the capabilities associated with a pcp, that farther reach, modifiable/upgradeable, I actually had it saved in my ebay "watching" but being unsure if it's a grooved 11mm mount or the piccatiny system? Any help would be great before the investment

--- End quote ---
If this is your line of thinking I would suggest having a look at the Avenger.

SwampHunter:
Urban is an out the box shooter, minimal fiddling
 20+ fpe, .22 cal only. Sounds horrible right? It's known to be very accurate as it has a hammer forged bsa barrel,  already has ldc so quiet. Small tank so it fills easily with the hand pump. It's short, very "carbine" style, get about 2 clips with 24 fpe when set up right. Downside is there aren't many mods...they simply aren't needed. You will want to mod the trigger, it is very simple, just add a longer screw.  Then you can fiddle with the hammer spring to get it dialed in, or just shoot it as it comes, up to you.
Now the guantlet. Long, heavy, much harder to fill with the hand pump. What you get in trade is lots of shots, up to 60fpe is pretty easy but shot count suffers the more power you have. They should have a decent trigger and are built off the qb78/crosman 160 platform. With it, the sky is the limit when it comes to mods. But it can be alot to both hand pump and tote in the field..much less swamps lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version